Are all zero calorie sweeteners non-fermentable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdupree

Reaction score
I'm making a hard cider. I'm going to bottle with priming sugar. Can I add any zero calorie sweetener if needed to the cider when i bottle? Will it have any effect on the carbonation?

I've seen people just suggest adding a bit of sweetener to the bottom of your glass before pouring, at least that way you don't get carbonation issues.

Now if you wanna drink straight from the bottle, you could have lower carbonation levels if the sweetener has a toxic effect on the yeast, but I don't have any way of knowing that.

I'm making a hard cider. I'm going to bottle with priming sugar. Can I add any zero calorie sweetener if needed to the cider when i bottle? Will it have any effect on the carbonation?

Splenda is mostly non-fermentable sucralose, but contains a small proportion of dextrose (which is obviously fermentable, it's the sugar in standard priming corn sugar). I'm not sure how much it is; certainly less than 10% (maybe a lot less), but if you're really sweetening things up some it could be worth thinking about.

It's possible to find pure sucralose under other names, and I _think_ that's what Lindemann's uses for their Framboise and other beers--verify that before taking my word for it!

I'd look at any other sugar substitutes you buy to see if they likewise include some dextrose--I think it's a common anti-caking agent.

Back