Clear Water Iron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extra_medium

Reaction score
i had a water analysis done and was told that i have:
1.5 ppm iron
21 calcium mgne
7.2 pH
320 TDS

i know that the iron is a major problem. what is the best way to eliminate that? this is well water and i have had no major issue brewing with it as it is, but i would like to elimate the iron. (it falls out during fermentation) it does not impact taste, but i still want it gone.
Thanks! :mug:

this is the stuff that turns your sinks red and if you pour a class of water it looks clear, but give it a few hours and you will see the iron oxidize and turn the water to a reddish color. i guess i could just make Red Ales :)

Well, depending on how bad you want it gone, you let it oxidise and migrate out then filter with filter paper. The only other ways of removing the iron that I can think of involve adding a fair few chemicals to the water which would most likely have a large impact on the quality of your brew.

Bubble with aquarium air stone for a day or two, let settle, rack, filter. I made a sand filter to remove the iron oxide particulates.

If you want it removed from your total house supply as continuous flow, you're probably looking at a softener (ion exchange) and then RO to get rid of the sodium from drinking/brewing water. Otherwise, treat as above and filter.

Back