IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

152Sumo

Reaction score
I brewed a Dogfish Head 60 minute clone. The OG was right on, and when I dry hopped (in primary on about day 10), the hydrometer reading was 1.018. That was the target FG, so everything seemed okay.

Yesterday (18 days in primary) I took a sample for hydrometer, and the hydrometer reading was 1.013. I am still seeing a little airlock activity. I do know that airlock activity, or lack of, doesnt equal fermentation activity.

Here is the question: does it look like I have a wild yeast taking over?

I plan on bottling it no matter what, and I will RDWHAHB,(I will never dump a batch unless the taste makes me hurl) but it seems odd that I hit the final gravity, then after taking sample and dry hopping, I see more airlock activity and the gravity dropped.

Thanks

Seems like a long time. What were the fermentation temps? How did the sample taste?

During the most active part of fermentation (just about the whole first week), I kept it below 70 with tub of water and frozen water bottles. After the first week, I just left it in the water tub without adding frozen bottles, and it remained around 70-73. I don't know if the sample tasted right or not. It wasn't horrible, but it reminded me of bananas when it first hit my mouth, but kind of tasted normal as far as after taste. I am not experienced enough to tell if that is okay or not. I am assuming okay, because my first batch, an APA, had similar tastes when I sampled. I just finished the last bottle the other day, and it was great.

Where was your FG supposed to stop, based on the recipe? I'd say if you're still getting a sweet taste, it's not done fermenting. Congrats on your first batch! :)

Based on DFH 60 Minute being a 6.0% beer, I have your OG at 1.064 if your FG was supposed to be 1.018. That would mean your attenuation was 72%. Being that it got down to 1.013, your attenuation is 80%. What yeast did you use?

I'd bet that the bubbling was mostly CO2 coming out of solution and little to do with the extra 5 points you saw. I'm making some assumptions overall here but honestly if it was me I wouldn't be concerned about this at all.

Did your beer warm up at all?

I had a brew finish right at its target 1.016 FG, the yeast settled out and was about to bottle. But then a warm bit of weather warmed my room up to mid 70's and the yeast woke back up and started off again. Beer turned cloudy and the airlock started bubbling constantly for about 3-4 days. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading but the yeast cake at the bottom doubled in size during the warmer temp so I am guessing that my beer is going to be a bit lower than 1.016

Where was your FG supposed to stop, based on the recipe? I'd say if you're still getting a sweet taste, it's not done fermenting. Congrats on your first batch! :)

from recipe, gravities= 1.064/1.018

What was your OG? How did you calculate that 1.018 was supposed to be your final gravity?

recipe/instructions

Based on DFH 60 Minute being a 6.0% beer, I have your OG at 1.064 if your FG was supposed to be 1.018. That would mean your attenuation was 72%. Being that it got down to 1.013, your attenuation is 80%. What yeast did you use?

I'd bet that the bubbling was mostly CO2 coming out of solution and little to do with the extra 5 points you saw. I'm making some assumptions overall here but honestly if it was me I wouldn't be concerned about this at all.

i used s04
Did your beer warm up at all?

I had a brew finish right at its target 1.016 FG, the yeast settled out and was about to bottle. But then a warm bit of weather warmed my room up to mid 70's and the yeast woke back up and started off again. Beer turned cloudy and the airlock started bubbling constantly for about 3-4 days. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading but the yeast cake at the bottom doubled in size during the warmer temp so I am guessing that my beer is going to be a bit lower than 1.016

my beer did warm up. i stpped adding frozen bottles to water after one week. it warmed from high 60s to low 70s

I can't find a published attenuation range offhand, but the last time I used S-04 I went from 1.063 to 1.012, about 81% attenuation. You were at 80%. I'm sure the extra points dropping off were just continued fermentation, helped by the fact that it warmed up a little. No worries, you're good.

I can't find a published attenuation range offhand, but the last time I used S-04 I went from 1.063 to 1.012, about 81% attenuation. You were at 80%. I'm sure the extra points dropping off were just continued fermentation, helped by the fact that it warmed up a little. No worries, you're good.

Thanks, that is a relief.

Dont judge it till its bottled.

I have always been curious about that. Is it possible to tell how good a beer is going to be when you take hydrometer samples? I always taste my samples, because I enjoy experiencing the changes. But, I am thinking about stopping that habit. Every time I taste a hydrometer sample, even before bottling the last batch that turned out good, I question if it is infected, or if the hops are right, or if gremlins took over fermentation.

RDWHAHB!!
Don't sweat it.
Of course if you're worried, you could drop ice in your tub and get it as cold as you can for a couple days.

Back