Anyone canning turkey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What leftover turkey?!?! :D

Seriously, that's a great idea. I didn't even think of that. We got a pretty small turkey this year, and last night's spicy turkey enchiladas took care of most of the leftovers but for next year that's something I should consider.

It never lasts that long around here. I am one hungry SOB and I have 2 young boys that can eat too.

Turkey is much better after Thanksgiving day. There is something magical that happens when you simmer sliced turkey in gravy and ladle it over toast or mashed potatoes. It is all gone as of tonight.

Around Maine we use the term "put up". For example you wouldn't say "I canned 12 jars of green beans", rather "I put up 12 jars of green beans".

Good luck with the canning. Maybe pickled turkey?

I made two large turkeys. We did make a large batch of turkey rice soup, but there's still turkey left.

We have company coming for Christmas, and my wife want's to make turkey then, too (it's the guest's request). So it got me thinking about packing turkey in water and using it like canned chicken later.

I love cooking this time of year, so having tons of leftovers in the fridge is pointless.

Sounds like a good plan.

I just cooked a 13lber for my wife, son, and I. We've been eating on it constantly. I think we're going to make a pot pie with some tomorrow, so that should take care of most of it.

I'm surprised to say, I haven't tired of it yet.

Deep freeze it?

That's what we do for the carcass, later turned into Turkey Soup.

I just think of potted meat, lost a bet and had to eat a can of that, ew.

Well This year I took home some leftovers so have about two servings of turkey to either make soup with or reheat straight up. However I do have two small turkeys in the freezer that I picked up for .69 cents a pound that may end up being canned, or one of those at least.

I did pick up some turkey necks to freeze, and I did use the left over leg bones I had from the bag I took home and four turkey necks last night..
To make some very rich turkey stock which was canned.

Does that count?

Will be canning turkey broth tomorrow morning - we used the bones and various vegetables to make the broth. We vacuum packed and froze our left over turkey meat in 8.5 ounce batches. I did buy an additional 2 - 22 pound turkeys that I will be smoking and canning in the next month or so.

I never thought to do that. We did up 3 birds this year, and had it coming out of our ears. Made no sense. Last year, same 3 birds and no leftovers. This year, twice as many people, 3 times the amount of leftovers...

Success!

I left them for a few weeks. Opened one yesterday, tasted like turkey. I'm still alive today. I used saved salsa jars. The jars sealed fine and held their seal.

I made 2 turkeys for Christmas, so i just bought a case of Ball jars - more canned turkey!

Yea, it doesn't look so great. I'm gonna work on my process. But take my word for it, tastes fine. Just ate some.

_mg_7583-61707.jpg

Aren't they supposed to be tightly packed with only 1/4" head space?

You did use a pressure canner, right? Either way, re-using those salsa jars isn't safe. You should only use 3-piece jars and new lids every time you can.

Yup, need citric acid too. Botulism takes 24 to 48 hours to start ripping you apart. We would rather have you stick around awhile.

Yea, I used a pressure cooker. Those salsa jar lids pulled a tight vacuum - they are caved in. If they popped up at all I wouldn't eat.

Regarding citric acid... is it necessary to add acid if I'm using a pressure cooker at high pressures/temps? I thought acid was only if you are boiling the bottles (i.e., not cooking at elevated temps to kill the botulism spore).

I think you are right Passedpawn but I always double check Ball's Blue Book.

I think you are right Passedpawn but I always double check Ball's Blue Book.

Yea, I should get that book. Might keep me from stomach problems.

I let my canner run out of water and the bottom warped (aluminum canner). Christmas morning I stuck the whole think in a huge vise I have on my workbench and straightened it right up lickety split.

passedpawn said:
Yea, I used a pressure cooker. Those salsa jar lids pulled a tight vacuum - they are caved in. If they popped up at all I wouldn't eat.

Regarding citric acid... is it necessary to add acid if I'm using a pressure cooker at high pressures/temps? I thought acid was only if you are boiling the bottles (i.e., not cooking at elevated temps to kill the botulism spore).

Low acid foods need seriously extended pressure cooking, maybe past the point where your turkey would be recognizable as turkey. There are charts. Botulinum doesn't necessarily produce enough gas to pop your lids, either. It kills you pretty quickly, too, it's not just food poisoning.

I don't think an acidic turkey would be very good either. This is basically the main reason people don't can meats, sadly.

For low acid foods you need a pressure cooker so you can get the temp up above boiling (212F/100C), whereas foods with adequate acid (think tomatoes) you can use a standard canning set up.

We can rabbit. Basically make a meal with deboned rabbit, veggies, and some broth and can it in the pressure cooker. The rabbit is already cooked so all you do is dump it in the pan and heat it up. And it keeps even when the power go out.

Get a book in regards to what you need the pressure cooker for vs. the standard hot water method. It depends on acid content of the foods. If the acid is inadequate, you need the extra heat to kill all the bad bugs so they don't kill you.

For low acid foods you need a pressure cooker so you can get the temp up above boiling (212F/100C), whereas foods with adequate acid (think tomatoes) you can use a standard canning set up.

We can rabbit. Basically make a meal with deboned rabbit, veggies, and some broth and can it in the pressure cooker. The rabbit is already cooked so all you do is dump it in the pan and heat it up. And it keeps even when the power go out.

Get a book in regards to what you need the pressure cooker for vs. the standard hot water method. It depends on acid content of the foods. If the acid is inadequate, you need the extra heat to kill all the bad bugs so they don't kill you.

Do you cook the rabbit in the jars (and in the canner)? As you can see in the pic, after cooking for over an hour, a lot of the juice in the jars boiled out. Maybe I had the heat too high. Those jars were full when I started.

Boil-off also comes from releasing the pressure manually with the button (rapidly decreasing pressure with same temp = vigorous boil off inside jars). Patience, grasshopper.

Some may escape anyway if the jars get direct heat from the bottom of the cooker or there's too little water in it. But not that much.

But for real folks, PCing for 15 min or something does not mean low acid food is safe just because it's hotter than boiling, there are charts from respectable sources that will guide you on canning times for meats.

Boil-off also comes from releasing the pressure manually with the button (rapidly decreasing pressure with same temp = vigorous boil off inside jars). Patience, grasshopper.

Some may escape anyway if the jars get direct heat from the bottom of the cooker or there's too little water in it. But not that much.

I didn't open (or press any button) early. I'm sure of that. But it did nearly run out of water. I'm guessing the main problem was I just ran the boiler way too hot. I.e., of the water in the bottom of the boiler is boiling and giving off steam, then the water in the jars is doing the same thing. And when water boils, it reduces in volume.

I think I left the heat on max the whole time. I need to turn it down next time so I just get it to hiss occasionally. I think.

Yeah, I use an electric so I don't even think about heat, that sounds plausible.

I'll mirror what others have said about using proper jars and following the processing times but the techniques mentioned are critical.

Once you have vented for the set time and have pressure you can turn the heat down to medium/medium high. (At least on my stove.) The pot will still boil, you are after maintaining a steady boil inside with out going nuclear. Proper headspaceing and degassing after you have your jars filled is very important, as is letting the pressure cooker come down to a normal temperature on it's own. This lets the jars pressure equalize with the slow temperature drop so that you don't boil off all the liquid inside. This is very critical so that the seal's remain in full contact with the jars as well.

Just canned 3 more jars of turkey.

And, I'm eating a Tostitos jar of turkey, canned Thanksgiving, that I just pulled out the pantry. Tastes great. I'm sold on this. Now I'm going to work on a good turkey salad recipe for sandwiches.

Looks intriguing. Next time I have a butt load of turkey I'll give this a try.

I have to concur on the 3-piece jars instead of trying to re-use others though. Kerr/Ball jars are cheap enough that you really have no excuse. I'd only re-use 2 piece jars if it is for something that is being refrigerated.

I canned venison and it came out pretty good.

Back