bottled for a week and still flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What research did you do that told you you will have carbonation after one week?

Are you bottle conditioning? If so one week is WAY too short, the 1-2-3 week plan for primary, secondary, and bottle conditioning gets thrown around here alot. But i generally wait a month to drink from my bottles. It makes for much more clear beer.

OR did you try to bottle force carbed beer? I've never done it, but i helped another brewer do it, and he kept his empty bottles in the freezer right up until he put the beer gun into them. He said this made a huge differrence in carbonation.

GaryA said:
Brewing is all about patience.
+1
Sometimes a beer is carbed in a week, sometimes it takes 2-3, sometimes even longer. Most of all it takes patience.
Assuming you bottled with the correct amount of sugar, you can speed up the carbing process by swirling the bottles every day and keeping them at a constant temp around 70F. Cooler temps will slow the process. My basement is in the low 60's so it is taking a good 3-weeks for conditioning during the winter.
Craig

It's already been said, but I might as well reinforce:

Keep bottles at 70F to 75F. Any lower and you can expect it to take a LONG time.

Wait two more weeks. Three weeks is pretty much the minimum.

Back