Style of burner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBelli

Beer Lover
Reaction score
I'm going to be building a new burner stand out of unistrut to replace my Bayou Classic SP-10

I currently use a 15Gal Keggle as my boil kettle.

I need advice as to the best propane burner to use for this project.
I want it HOT but Quiter than the SP-10

any advice would be great!!

The banjo style burners are both hot and quiet. I have a KAB6 and a SQ14 and either one would work for a 15.5 gallon keggle.

Very helpful.

The reason we join forums and post questions is to get the benefit of others personal experience, something both google and your smart comment fail to provide.

oh c'mon now, click the link, you'll get answers :cross:

mcspanner said:
Very helpful.

The reason we join forums and post questions is to get the benefit of others personal experience, something both google and your smart comment fail to provide.

My thoughts exactly! New brewer here...also looking to build a set-up. Sometimes a google search does not give the answers that help make a decision (and I have searched)...sometimes it might be one thing someone says that helps with a choice. Looking forward to insightful posts...

I'm going to be building a new burner stand out of unistrut to replace my Bayou Classic SP-10

I currently use a 15Gal Keggle as my boil kettle.

I need advice as to the best propane burner to use for this project.
I want it HOT but Quiter than the SP-10

any advice would be great!!

I second the recommendation for the banjo/hurricane style. With high pressure the 10" puts out slightly more heat than the SP-10, but makes a fraction of the noise. They can also be converted to low pressure propane or natural gas (although this does reduce the BTU output significantly).

oh c'mon now, click the link, you'll get anserwers

Whether that's true or not, posting a LMGTFY link in response to a serious question violates the forum rules.

Thanks guys... I'm leaning tward the 10" banjo ...
anyone know if the bottom of the burner has a threaded mounting hole?
I would love to mount it from a strut running below the center of theburner
I called Bayou and the girl had no idea...

AgingHopster... cute reply, but if I wanted google results I would not have posted the thread

Thanks again to the others

Thanks guys... I'm leaning tward the 10" banjo ...
anyone know if the bottom of the burner has a threaded mounting hole?
I would love to mount it from a strut running below the center of theburner
I called Bayou and the girl had no idea...

AgingHopster... cute reply, but if I wanted google results I would not have posted the thread

Thanks again to the others

No hole in the bottom, there are 4 threaded mounting holes on the outside edges. I've seen a mounting style here that would work for you. Essentially a C shaped bracket that would bolt to your strut in the middle, and each end would hold up one side of the burner.

Edit: Here's what the bottom looks like-
IMG_1621.jpg

no hole in the bottom, there are 4 threaded mounting holes on the outside edges. I've seen a mounting style here that would work for you. Essentially a c shaped bracket that would bolt to your strut in the middle, and each end would hold up one side of the burner.

thanks!!!

JuanMoore said:
No hole in the bottom, there are 4 threaded mounting holes on the outside edges. I've seen a mounting style here that would work for you. Essentially a C shaped bracket that would bolt to your strut in the middle, and each end would hold up one side of the burner.

Edit: Here's what the bottom looks like-

Thanks. Exactly what I needed to see!

If you go with the 10" banjo I would suggest getting a heat shield from bobby m at brewershardware.com

It will help keep heat under the kettle and has a folding flap to vent exhaust gasses that would choke the flame with a traditional heat shield.

I have a blichmann burner. It was pricy and i do not know how it stacks against the bayou burners. I do know that you cannot hear it when it running unless you have it going full throttle, and it heats my strike water very fast

I have a blichmann burner. It was pricy and i do not know how it stacks against the bayou burners. I do know that you cannot hear it when it running unless you have it going full throttle, and it heats my strike water very fast

I came here to say the same thing. Its powerfull, quiet low to the ground and built like a tank. I dont worry at all having 15-20 gallons of boiling liquid on it.

I have the BG12. It definitely doesn't put out the heat output of the SQ10 or the banjo burners, but it's quiet and it sips propane in comparison. Both the banjo and the SQ10 go through propane pretty quickly, the BG12 uses much less. It's very, very quiet too.

With that said, it does heat a little slower than either the banjo or the SQ10. I have no problem bringing 12gal batches to a boil (14gal pre-boil) with it, but it is a little slower than the SQ10 was.

Heat output, noise, cost. You can pick two.

The BG-14 can be just as fuel efficient as the BG-12 if a similar regulator is used, or the flame is turned down. The main reason I suggest the BG-14 is that even after conversion to NG or low pressure propane it still produces enough heat to bring 12 gal to a boil in a reasonable time. A lot of people look to convert when they start thinking about automation, since it usually makes it cheaper and easier to create a safely automated burner.

Back