La caja china

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
Any one ever use or seen one of these. Cooking a whole 80-100 lb pig in less than 4 or 5 hours looks pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, we do up a pig two maybe three times a year on one. They really are everything they say they are.

What size pigs and how many can eat off a 50, 80, 90 #, or etc size pig? thanks

We have the most basic box advertized. I think the biggest pig we've done was about 60#. I'd guess you can serve about 20 ppl off that but I can't be sure. We always have a good 100# crawfish and/or other large amounts of meat to go with the pig. It's usually a pretty big party--we usually kill two cornies at them plus what the BMC crowd brings.

They are a bit small. I "built" my own. I lucked out and found a LARGE stainless steel sink. I then had a box lid (~ 5 in. tall) fabricated to give me a little extra clearance. I can cook at max., a 120lb pig in it. It still takes 12 hrs plus to cook the pig. The advertised shorter times are because the pigs are smaller.

We kill 4 cornies at our annual roast, but there is no commercial beer at it :rockin:

They are a bit small. I "built" my own. I lucked out and found a LARGE stainless steel sink. I then had a box lid (~ 5 in. tall) fabricated to give me a little extra clearance. I can cook at max., a 120lb pig in it. It still takes 12 hrs plus to cook the pig. The advertised shorter times are because the pigs are smaller.

We kill 4 cornies at our annual roast, but there is no commercial beer at it :rockin:

I believe I need a pic of this box so I can copy it. :mug:

I'd think it would take less than 12 hrs even for 120 pounder since this is a high heat method rather than a low and slow smoke. I can be proven wrong though.

I cook mine on the slow side starting out. I like to sleep. :)

cookerinuse-18241.jpg

pigin-18242.jpg

Back