Adjust chloride to sulfate post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedChris

Reaction score
I searched so go easy if this has been discussed before.

I've been making water adjustments for a while, both to correct the mash pH and chloride to sulfate ratio and would really like to be able to do a back to back taste test of different chloride to sulfate amounts and ratios without doing multiple boils and/or brews.

My understanding is that the impact of the chloride to sulfate ratio on flavor is only related to how much of each compound are in the final beer.

Thus, would adjusting the amounts of these chemicals in the glass, post-fermentation, have the same impact on flavor as adjusting them in the boil?

I'll probably just try it but am curious to hear other's thoughts.

Certainly, chloride can be added after fermentation. When I was a kid it was common to see the old timers salt their beer at the bar.

Sulfate I'm not so sure about. In that case I expect that it is a kettle reaction that is responsible for the flavor effects. Try it and see!

Latest posts

Back