New Tap tower or drill old one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cercueil

Reaction score
I currently have an old Kenmore Kegerator with 1 tap on the tower. I want to upgrade to a dual tap tower. I measured the tower itself and unfortunately its only 2.5" in diameter. When I open the top and look down it...it looks like I can put another tap possibly lower then the first faucet. Is this do-able or should I just buy a dual tap tower? The problem is that the shank takes up almost the entire 2.5 inches. I noticed on newer towers the shank comes out more which leaves only the beer line in the tower so I guess thats how they can put 2 taps right next to each other.

Now that I looked at my tower again it is old and definitely needs replacing. I'm not that handy but it would be cool to build one. I've seen people build it with PVC but is it a good insulator? Is that the only feature that you are looking for in the tower? I guess you can always add a fan so that the cool air gets up there anyway.

Thanks for that link..I didn't see that before with the copper tubing. It looks like it might be a little difficult to get to the lines near the shank if you had to. I guess if you don't go crazy with the foam and leave some room in there you should be ok.

Are you sure you need to replace the tower? I have an old Kenmore kegerator too, with a 2.5" tower, and I drilled a hole for a second tap. I forget how to post pics, but if you check out my gallery I posted pics. In order to get the taps to be on the same level I ordered new shanks from Ventmatic to squeeze everything in place.

pahiker6 - I took a look at your gallery and you definitely have the same kegerator as me. The problem is that my shank goes too deep into the tower. Let me see if I can post a pic so you can see what I mean.

call them. My 3 tap tower was under $60 shipped to the door and its a quality part!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43369710@N07/3994905683/

Here is a pic of the tower. I think I understand now. The shank is the problem. If I order 2 elbow shanks the threads shoudn't come out into the tower too much and I will be able to fit another faucet in there. Is that correct?

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Although if RC00032 was able to get a 3 tap tower for $60, you might want to check on a 2 tap tower from Acumetal.

Back