DIY Grain mill cabinet with PICS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to build a nice cabinet mill station for the big Crankandstein Mill that I bought. I got the 328D mill it has (3) 2" rollers that are 8" long. I mill a lot of grain and also mill for many friends in the area, so I wanted a mill that could mill 20 lbs in a minute. It is powered by a 3/4 HP motor, and is geared down to about 207 rpms. However, I have also connected it to a router speed controller so I can adjust it more if need be. The basic cabinet took 2 days to build, and I still need to build the hopper, the front door, and paint it, but its basically done.
It has been a lot of fun to build and since I have a shop full of woodworking tools, I figured I had better use them. Anyways, pics will now follow.

Josh

Mill Cainet 1.jpg

Motor Speed Control 2.jpg

Slide out drawer for grain 3.jpg

Grain Bin 4.jpg

Grain Bin 5.jpg

Nice work!

Not only am I jealous that you built such a thing, I'm doubly jealous that you have room to store it when not in use.

Good....maybe you can give me some tips...it wont feed grain for me....

How is the hopper arranged? The mill is turning in the proper direction I would assume? Otherwise It should feed without problems. I believe the upper two rollers have a fixed gap, so adjustment there isn't possible. Does it feed at all through the first set of rollers?

How is the hopper arranged? The mill is turning in the proper direction I would assume? Otherwise It should feed without problems. I believe the upper two rollers have a fixed gap, so adjustment there isn't possible. Does it feed at all through the first set of rollers?

No it doesnt. I have been talking to another owner of this mill and he an I agree its the gaps on the two free spinning wheels.

Well I got the hopper figured out and built the guard for the wheel. So now I have to paint it. Next pics will show her completely done.

Again, thanks for all the kind words.

Josh

PS, I did get the mill going properly, and it runs like a champ.

This is a trip--I waste equal amounts of time in homebrewing and woodworking forums. Opening this thread was a little disorienting.

Nice bench, btw!

Thanks, I appreciate the complimet!
My wife will not let me sell the woodworking tools, to buy more brewing stuff. So she is making me build her solid cherry kitchen cabinets.

Cheers

Holy crap that is a lot of Dewalt cordless motors...you know they have quick chucks on them right :).

Nice work though

Holy crap that is a lot of Dewalt cordless motors...you know they have quick chucks on them right :).

Nice work though

Yeah, I know, I find it useful to have that many drills, when building cabinets, from pocket hole drill bits to the pocket hole screws etc... it does save time.
you should see all the batteries in the shop...LOL

I am envious of your wood shop though, I have a small garage so I can't fit what I want in it, like a good table saw. It makes it hard to build good brewing stuff with a really cheap contractors table saw :), fortunately it is still functional. When I upgrade my account I will have to post some pics of my grain mill as I went the opposite direction with a compact design.

I am envious of your wood shop though, I have a small garage so I can't fit what I want in it, like a good table saw. It makes it hard to build good brewing stuff with a really cheap contractors table saw :), fortunately it is still functional. When I upgrade my account I will have to post some pics of my grain mill as I went the opposite direction with a compact design.

Have you seen the compact shop designs in Wood Magazine? They have really covered small woodworking shops, and maximizing space.
Its actually kinda funny, I have often thought of trading my cabinet saw in for a hybrid cabinet saw, to make more room for brewing :)
It seems like its never enough, whatever the hobby. LOL
:mug:
Josh

I'll trade you my contractors table saw for your cabinet saw. Even up!

Seriously, that is a very nice-looking grinding station. I just about finished my grinder station, and it's not nearly as nice as that. Of course mine is completely different, being portable and all, but you'd never want to show it off.

Back