POLL: Which IPA do you like better: Stone IPA, Dogfish Head 60, or Bells 2-Hearted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which IPA do you prefer...

• Stone IPA

• Dogfish Head 60

• Bells Two Hearted

Results are only viewable after voting.

-TH-

Reaction score
I'm really into IPA's right now (understatement of the year) and these are probably my favorite 3. I just wondered how they ranked with others.

Where's the poll?

...in absence, my vote would be for Bells or Stone for 1st place followed in a distant third by 60m

Edit: Weird...it wasn't there the first time I clicked in.

Stone, closely followed by Bell. Dogfish head is two laps behind, somewhere in the dust of various Sierra Nevada IPAs.

Stone's IPA kind of bores me. Never had Bell's before, it isn't sold around here, but I have heard good things. 60 minute is my choice of the three.

I went with DFH but I've never had Bell's. If I had to go with my top 3 then I would have to pick Smuttynose, Clipper City Loose Canon, and Bear Republic Racer 5.

Stone's IPA kind of bores me. Never had Bell's before, it isn't sold around here, but I have heard good things. 60 minute is my choice of the three.

really, Stone's bores you? I'd love to hear you reason.

Bell's isn't sold in AZ either (that I've seen) - but I do love stones and DFH 60.

really, Stone's bores you? I'd love to hear you reason.

Bell's isn't sold in AZ either (that I've seen) - but I do love stones and DFH 60.

Their regular IPA doesn't have enough aroma. The flavor is good, but nothing special. Now if we are talking Ruination that is a good IPA. If the beer selection wasn't so bad around here I would probably be drinking Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic all the time that is a great IPA. I have my next two batches planned, but a Hop Rod Clone is in the works for sure.

Good poll. I have been lucky enough to have had quite a few of all of these beers.
The Bells and the Stone are both fantastic beers but I give the nod to Bells. I better competition would have been Bells Two Hearted vs Stone Ruination. That would be a tough choice. While I know many people speak very highly of the Dogfish it does not do much for me.
Here is how I rank them.
1st Bells Two Hearted
2nd Stone IPA
3rd Dogfish

Well, I'm lucky enough to be able to get all three. I'd have to say that I prefer the Two-Hearted over the other two, with the Stone next, and the 60-minute far back. I love the DFH 90-minute, but the 60-minute is nothing special. The Stone IPA is pretty darn good, but to my tastes it's just a little more one-dimensional than the Bell's. Now the Ruination would be my favorite of off of these, but that's not a choice.

Not that I'd turn down any of the above of course. They're all good.

2 Hearted > Stone IPA > 60 Minute

I would also put Ruination ahead of 2 Hearted. I tend to not like the lighter IPAs, they seem to fill a void between strong IPAs and pale ales that I am personally not interested in.

Two Hearted and Stone IPA are my top two IPA's, i picked Bells, but between the two, its like trying to pick the the hotter of two smoking hot twins. i like DFH 60 though, but as others have said, just nothing stands out about it.

I really like the Bells Two Hearted a lot. The other two I don't think are anything all that special.

Sweetwater IPA should be on that list too, damn thats a fine beer.

None of my favorite IPAs are on this list either. Alesmith IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin (or Big Eye), Green Flash West Coast, Russian River IPA (not Pliny, just their single IPA), and plenty more are higher on my list than any of these. Stone makes a solid IPA, but it is a bit one dimensional for me (and I am not a huge fan of magnum hops at that level of bitterness) and I don't like the DFH60 very much.

haven't had the bells, but the stone ranks above the dfh60. if the dfh90 was on there, that would have won for me. but i agree with others, there are a lot better ipas out there than these three, imo.

Thanks for the responses.

I didn't want to start a thread that says "list your 3 favorite IPA's" because I was more curious about what people thought of these three. However, now I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I've tried plenty of others (I would say a dozen other brands) but most either taste too weak or have some funky taste that I don't like. But maybe I should keep trying more. The only thing is I can get two-hearted at my local grocery store for under $10 a sixer whereas most other ipa's like stone, dfh, etc are much more.

Thanks for the responses.

I didn't want to start a thread that says "list your 3 favorite IPA's" because I was more curious about what people thought of these three. However, now I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I've tried plenty of others (I would say a dozen other brands) but most either taste too weak or have some funky taste that I don't like. But maybe I should keep trying more. The only thing is I can get two-hearted at my local grocery store for under $10 a sixer whereas most other ipa's like stone, dfh, etc are much more.

It is really regional. We're in the land of IPAs out here. Breweries in SD almost have to have a good IPA or they're not really as noticed. Some places have 3 good IPAs. It really is out of control here. I blame/thank Stone for it, really.

Double IPA's are better for my taste. Founders Double Trouble is a show stopper!!! Bells 2 Hearted is very good though!!

Stone is the best of these 3 with Bell's very close behind. DH60 is also a fine American IPA (and better than the DH90, though the 75 blend is pretty great for an AIPA).

These are heavily skewed choices toward the American bastardization of the style, though, with no "real" IPAs as options. Give me a Schlafly Export IPA or even a Fuller's IPA over any of these; if I'm going with an American-style IPA, I'm going whole-hog with a Ruination or similar.

Stone > Two-hearted >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DFH60

I'm with this guy. I will say though that Stone IPA and Two-Hearted Ale are nearly deadlocked for me. If I could only pick one for the rest of my life, I'd go with the Stone as I think the flavor is bitter without crushing your palate.

And DFH60 sucks the big one.

Mmmm, DFH 60. Smooth, flavorful, good aroma, and easy-drinking!

Stone is great, too, never had the Bells. I just prefer the East Coast IPA's.

Sadly, we cannot get any of these locally....we are so deprived here in Nebraska. We can, however, get Avery IPA and SN Torpedo, both of which are outstanding as well. I did pick up some Stone and DFH while in Colorado and picked up some Bells in Missouri. I love them all, but of the three I have to give my preference to Bells. In fact, I think I'll have one right now :D

Back