Prickly Pear Cactus Mead & Beginner Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I just read the 'Prickly Pear Cactus Mead' recipe in Charlie Papazian's famous book we all love. Is the recipe really that good?

Regardless, where do I find the ingredients to make mead? I don't usually see pounds of honey and prickly pear cactus fruit in the grocery store or the Local Homebrew Shop...

if your LHBS doesn't have honey...ask why, and if you don't get a rasonable answer, find a new one.
If you can't find honey at the grocery store visit the "Hippy" stores. I LOVE the selection at the Vitamin Cottage, and Whole Foods is good too. This summer I plan to find some local bee keepers and make friends.

As far as the Prickly Pear Cactus Mead...I dunno? I made jelly last year with it, and my fingers still hurt, the jelly is good, but not great. I kinda think the wine is about the same. It's bound to be good....But I don't know if it's worth the effort.

I just bottled up a batch I made last summer. I think its pretty good. I am planning on making another batch this year.

In Malta they have a local liqiour made from Prickly Pear, very sweet, although I've never had a mead made with it, I didn't find it too drinkable. Just my taste-buds though... The others loved the stuff.

Back