Full Boil Extract with Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

Finallly getting a large keg for using as a boil pot but my mash tun is still a work in progress.

Is there any benefit to doing a full 5 gallon boil if I'm only using Extract with Grain?

Just curious.

Cheers,
Jay

Absolutely. You'll get better hops utilization (you can probably decrease the hops by 25%), you'll get less carmelization and darkening of the wort, and maybe less extract "twang" that we've talked about.

Remember the cooling 5 gallons is not easy though- you really need a wort chiller when you go to full boils.

The wort chiller is not completely necessary to do the 5 gal boils though. with a good ice bath set up and stirring the wort while its cooling I can chill 5 gallons to 75 degrees in 15-20 minutes.

Skunkyhops said:
The wort chiller is not completely necessary to do the 5 gal boils though. with a good ice bath set up and stirring the wort while its cooling I can chill 5 gallons to 75 degrees in 15-20 minutes.

It would help if you post more about this.
It takes most people hours with out a chiller.

orfy said:

Yeah, actually it takes me 20 minutes with a chiller, but I don't have a pre-chiller. I've wondered if I can coil the extra hose in the sink, in an ice bath, as a makeshift pre-chiller to improve chilling efficiency.

orfy said:

it was in one of those big plastic bins with the rope handles on the sides... Mother nature had provided me with snow so i filled the bin with a snow/water mix and i plopped my 30 qt brew kettle into the snow/water. i had to hold the kettle upright so it didnt spill so as i was sitting there i slowly stirred the wort trying hard not to really disturb the wort to the point where it would splash and make bubbles... I was really suprised at how fast it cooled. Ive tried placing the kettle in just snow and it took me 2 hours to cool it prior to this. I have brew planned for tonight and im going to use the same method to cool my wort so ill post afterwords and let yall know how it went.:cross:

Skunkyhops said:
it was in one of those big plastic bins with the rope handles on the sides... Mother nature had provided me with snow so i filled the bin with a snow/water mix and i plopped my 30 qt brew kettle into the snow/water. i had to hold the kettle upright so it didnt spill so as i was sitting there i slowly stirred the wort trying hard not to really disturb the wort to the point where it would splash and make bubbles... I was really suprised at how fast it cooled. Ive tried placing the kettle in just snow and it took me 2 hours to cool it prior to this. I have brew planned for tonight and im going to use the same method to cool my wort so ill post afterwords and let yall know how it went.:cross:

I use the same method (big plastic bin) and I can cool to 70F in 20 minutes no problem if I circulate the water and give the wort a stir in about 10 minutes in. I'm going to do a full boil next and see if I can cool in 30 minutes with the same method (previous batches were 3gal boils).

Skunkyhops: One trick that I've come up with when using this method so that I don't have to hold the kettle upright...I take an empty five gallon bucket and put it upside down on top of the kettle lid and then take another five gallon bucket that is full of H20 and put it on top. Works nicely.

Back