12-12-12 Wee Heavy Swap and Critique Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey CrystallineEntity - having your Rye Saison tonight. That's a good beer, man. Enjoying it quite a bit. Appreciate it.

Well, I did a terrrrrrrrible job of keeping track of who sent me what. (Read: I have no idea anymore.)

But I had a pale ale last night that just had a silver cap with "pale" written in green on the top.
It was great. REALLY nice hop aroma, perfect carbonation, great flavor. It had a little bit of bitter aftertaste (like a light IPA), but
I had it with BBQ ribs and the food wiped the bitterness and I really enjoyed the beer. I'd buy this if I could. Whoever made it, really nice job.

That was mine. Thanks! I have been feeling quilty as some of the test bottles of the others I sent folks seemed a bit over carbed. It was my first use of the beer gun so..

The Pale that you drank is actually a variation on the Northern Brewer 1911 Export ale recipe that they had for a special yeast a few years ago. It was an English Pale with a large long dry hop. I subbed in my home grown cascades for the dry hop and was pretty happy with the results.

I owe everyone reviews of their beers. Many slips of paper in my backpack waiting to be transcribed to the computer...

I figured it's close enough...

Broke open another one of the brews; one of the ones that was swapped to me. Unfortunately I didn't keep anything resembling records, so I've no idea. "12-12-12" was written in Sharpie on the silver cap, if that rings a bell.

First off, surprisingly carbed still. I figured after two years a lot would have died off, but no.

The taste is also quite smooth, and basically what I remember last year. Deep, earthy, raisiny, and a little oxidized. UPDATE: After letting it warm up, there's HUGE chocolate. It's awesome stuff.

All in all great, and nice to remember it again!

Broke open another one of the brews; one of the ones that was swapped to me. Unfortunately I didn't keep anything resembling records, so I've no idea. "12-12-12" was written in Sharpie on the silver cap, if that rings a bell.

First off, surprisingly carbed still. I figured after two years a lot would have died off, but no.

The taste is also quite smooth, and basically what I remember last year. Deep, earthy, raisiny, and a little oxidized. UPDATE: After letting it warm up, there's HUGE chocolate. It's awesome stuff.

12-12-12 would be 1 year from today.

I know... it was brewed in 2011 though. I thought maybe whoever had marked their bottle like that would remember.

Was it in a Sierra Nevada bottle? I think that's mine. I think I last tried one a few months ago. It's amazing how well it stands up over time.

The club my fiend attends is doing Wee Heavy for their fall comp this year and I'm going to submit it. Can't wait to see what they think after almost 4 years.

So... anyone else still got bottles? I gave one of mine to a friend, after discussing Wee Heavy, and popped one open. I was expecting it to be awful, as it's been in a garage through the blistering SC summer. I was wrong! The wet cardboard oxidation I had last year is gone, so either that was a bad bottle, or it's no longer present somehow.

Extremely light hiss, with no noticeable carb while drinking.
Poured into a goblet, no head.
Heavy raisin and molasses aroma.
Beautiful fig and roasted malt flavors, with no alcohol or hop flavors at all.
Thick cereal aftertaste.
Mild legs in the glass, maybe like a pinot noir.

So... anyone else still got bottles? I gave one of mine to a friend, after discussing Wee Heavy, and popped one open. I was expecting it to be awful, as it's been in a garage through the blistering SC summer. I was wrong! The wet cardboard oxidation I had last year is gone, so either that was a bad bottle, or it's no longer present somehow.

Extremely light hiss, with no noticeable carb while drinking.
Poured into a goblet, no head.
Heavy raisin and molasses aroma.
Beautiful fig and roasted malt flavors, with no alcohol or hop flavors at all.
Thick cereal aftertaste.
Mild legs in the glass, maybe like a pinot noir.

I had one a few weeks ago. It was more or less exactly as you just described. I've still got quite a bit. It's good, but man it just needed a little more carbonation to lighten it and make it more fun to drink. Great flavor otherwise.

CrystallineEntity, I found one of yours in my fridge today. It's held up well, strong raisin notes, a bit thin, but very solid. It's a good beer.

I'm sorry I didn't tell you this before.

Wow! That's surprising. I had my last one quite a while ago. The beer peaked and then started to go downhill a bit. Glad it's still drinkable.

:mug:

Y'all are awful:p

I made it as far as 4 years with mine, and shared it with my brewclub. They universally loved it. I brewed the recipe again, and did a split 10 gallon batch, with half oaked. Delicious stuff - I can't wait for it to age again.

Back