Need some help identifying my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyBrewer

Reaction score
So this might sound weird and newbish, but I want some help to classify this next brew.

If I had to take a guess, it would be a Scotch Ale but I want other's opinions to help me tell my testers (a.k.a. anyone that walks in my house) what style of beer it most resembles.

This is my recipe... (I always buy grain in full lbs, so I have some left over that I want to use)

6.5# - Pale Ale Malt 2-row
1# - Caramel Vienne 20L
1# - Caramel/Crystal 60L
.5# - Caramel/Crystal 10L

.5oz Amarillo @ 40 min
.5oz Amarillo @ 20 min

1pkg - Wyeast #1728 (Scottish Ale)

If you have suggestions for maybe a different direction to take the brew, let me know. I like getting feedback (good or bad) to help me with future brews.

Looks like an American pale ale - depending on the final IBU. The American citrus hops I think are the defining feature as they are so in characteristic for British styles. The yeast isn't defining as several classic apa's and IPAs use British yeast.

Looks like an American pale ale - depending on the final IBU. The American citrus hops I think are the defining feature as they are so in characteristic for British styles. The yeast isn't defining as several classic apa's and IPAs use British yeast.

It's a too-sweet American pale, so I'd call it closest to American amber (American red). 2.5 pounds of crystal in a 9 pound batch is a LOT. That's nearly 28% of the grainbill. That's about twice as much as I'd use.

I'd definitely cut the crystal malt in half, leaving out the 20L and reducing the 60L a bit.

Back