Keg noob without keezer question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My lady recently got me a kegging setup which of course caused me to be super pumped. My landlord wants me to have a beer ready for his Super Bowl party, so I brewed a pale ale yesterday. I plan on force carbing the beer, but I don't have a way to chill it. I don't have the money to grab a used fridge right now, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone in my position. Is it possible to force carb at a higher temp? maybe around 45 degrees(outside)? what would happen to the carb level when the temp rises? Thanks!

You can force carb beer at pretty much any temperature, you just have to set the CO2 pressure regulator to an appropriate level.

If you refer to this carbonation chart, for a beer temperature of 45°F and a carbonation level of 2.5 volumes of CO2 (fairly standard for pales) you would set the regulator for 15 psi, and leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

Once you have the beer carbed up, if you allow it to warm up it won't be able to hold as much CO2 in solution, so it will tend to pour with more foam...

Cheers!

It doesn't sound like youll have time to slow carb it though since the super bowl is already less than 2 weeks away. I would suggest putting it on ice as soon as it is kegged and setting it up closer to 30 psi. Spend a few minutes shaking the hell out of it after you hook up the gas and then bleed some off. Repeat once or twice and let it sit overnight. You should be able to serve the following day but it will get better with time (as most homebrews do). Just try to leave it on ice during the entire process. It should be ready in time

Great thanks guys! Update: I found a fridge for $20 on Craigslist, do this will be much easier to force carb/serve. Thanks again!

That's a scary timeframe to try and hit!! Just be cautious not to overcarb with such an aggressive schedule.

Back