Recipe critique please- Twelveteen 12-12-12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
Last year I blindly did an 11-11-11 Eleventy that was judged very well. I followed a great suggestion on feeding 2 different yeast additions throughout fermentation (dogfish 120 style) and it turned out great. I'm doing completely different grains and hops for this 1.12 beer. Please give me your thoughts so I can get this rolling in a few days! Thanks
Brad

5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 25.6 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.0 %
3 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.0 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.3 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 9.3 %
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.7 %
1 lbs Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.7 %

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 18.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 15.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 12 12.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 13 13.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 3.1 IBUs
2 lbs Honey [Boil for 2 min](1.0 SRM) Sugar 15 9.3 %

I'm going to start with an S-04 and after 3 days i'll pitch a High gravity yeast. I'll split up 1lb of Brown Sugar and 1lb corn sugar into 5 or 6 dissolved additions to keep the High Gravity rolling.

I think you have way too many specialty grains and not nearly enough boiling hops to balance the beer.

If it is already starting at 1.12 why add so many extra fermentables? the ABV will be super high. Is that the goal?

I figured my grains were needed to be simplified but I wasn't sure where to go. It ends up at 1.12 with the grains and the extra fermentables. How would you change the hops?

I think I would try something closer to this.

With Marris Otter you are going to have plenty of backbone to the malt profile. I wouldn't normally use much munich if any when using a high quality base malt. I also try to keep my base malt above 65% of the mash to ensure plenty of enzymes available to mash the specialty malts.

Cara-pils is not very fermentable. I would avoid using very much in any one beer. If you want more body and head retention you can generally fine tune the mash to achieve this.

Most of the malts you have selected are very similar in Lovibond, ie: crystal 10 and Munich, Victory and Biscuit, I would tend to select malts with a wider range of Lovibond or not bother with making the recipe more complicated.

The recipe I have below is more of an American Style Barleywine...With relatively low bitterness.

14.5 # marris otter
2 # Munich 10L
1# Biscuit 25 L
1# crystal 40 L
.5 # carapils
.5 # toasted malt

I would move the boil to a 90 minute to make sure you actually condense the wort engough to get near 1.12. If you move the 60 and 40 minute additions of hop to there you would end up with about 76 IBU. I think that would work for a slightly sweet balance.

I would consider increasing the late kettle hops though. With that much grain the hop flavor may tend to hide. I would consider an additional oz of centennial @ 5 minutes or doubling the galaxy @ 5 minutes

Good luck!

Thanks. I'll do some simplifying and tweaking for Wednesday. I like a little more hoppiness so I'll definitely boost that one. My 1.111 had 111 ibu's and it wasnt very hoppy. Time to hop on beer smith for some work!

Back