Thank You and odds and ends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brw4me2

Reaction score
I'm very new to brewing and drinking to be honest. I started brewing August 11 and I've done 3 so far with another planned next week. I never really liked beer until a work mate gave me a bottle that he had made. WOW, great. So that is my story on making beer. Oh I've now gone to partial grain and so some day soon (waiting for the turkey fryers to come in) for all grain.

A few questions:

Flaked Oaks is this anything like I can buy at the grocery store??

I don't put things together, just not me. I'm planning on buying a bigger system any good places??

I'm still having problems with cool down the wort. For the first time I got it to 45 minutes. No I don't have chiller thing. It's still better then the hours it was before. Any ideas? Or just give in and get a chiller.

I'm wanting to try a beer that takes the cork is that any of them?

Thank you again and I will keep reading. So much to learn. Can't wait for the all grain to start.

Quaker Oats are a good substitute for flaked oats. Flaked oats were originally designed by the cereal companies anyway for something that was easier to cook. Just the straight out generic Quaker oats.

There's lots of places to get good gear. I've got a bunch of things from Northern Brewer. Some odds and ends from Keg Connection. But I'm sure people can come up with all kinds of good places that you can get good deals on great brewing gear.

You want rolled oats. The rolling process gelatanizes the starches and allows it to be converted. Any instant oats will work fine.

If no wort chiller, put brewpot in sink with ice packed around it and water. I had a suggestion once to add ice to pot, but when I did it imparted a bad taste to brew. Was commercial ice, made locally, and had a lot of iron in it. Tasted metallic.

Wort chiller can be made or purchased pretty inexpensively. Check ebay...

Get the chiller. It will save you time and reduce the risk of infection during that critical time after boil and before pitching.

For me, cooling to pitchable temp went from more than an hour to 20 minutes. One of the best investments I made early on. You can get a 25' chiller for cheap online at amazon.

So Quaker Oats quick will work.....good to know. It's far better then paying 3.50 a lb at the beer making store (money can go towards more things), I've done the ice in the sink and it still takes a long time and I should also say, in the summer here in St. louis the water (cold) is very hot coming out. It's probably time for me to buy chiller! I'm planning on going to all grain soon. After doing my first partial mash I know my pots are not large enough.

$3.50 a pound for flaked oats? Those are some mighty expensive oats. I did a quick search on the internet and the costs there range from $1.25 to $2.50 a pound.

So Quaker Oats quick will work.....good to know. It's far better then paying 3.50 a lb at the beer making store (money can go towards more things), I've done the ice in the sink and it still takes a long time and I should also say, in the summer here in St. louis the water (cold) is very hot coming out. It's probably time for me to buy chiller! I'm planning on going to all grain soon. After doing my first partial mash I know my pots are not large enough.

During the summer I have to use a pond pump that's recirculating water from an ice batch to chill my wort down once I hit about 110*F or else it takes way too long going from just the tap. We're lucky that St. Louis has such good water for the most part, just start thinking about using Campden tablets if you aren't already to take care of the chloramines they use in the water. I had one batch turn out bad because of them, so I never take any chances anymore.

Also, for upgrading your boil kettle, look at no smaller than 8 gallons. I have one that size, and there's been more than one time I wish I opted for a 10 gallon to begin with.

I agree the water here in St. Louis is very good. One who has lived in many places and has had BAD water before. Campden tablets huh, I will ask my beer making store about them. I've been using bottled water when making my beer, I will say I've used the tap also.

Thanks for the tip on the kettle size. I'm hoping for 10 gallons. I guess it depends what comes with the fryer. My fingers are crossed.

$3.50 a pound for flaked oats? Those are some mighty expensive oats. I did a quick search on the internet and the costs there range from $1.25 to $2.50 a pound.

When I went to the beer making store that is what they were. I thought they were "special" and no I didn't ask if they were. My fault as they would tell me. Since I work in a grocery store I will be picking up the quick oats from now on. Also my co-worker didn't know and he will be doing the same! That has saved us some money to go for more beer making things.

Latest posts

Back