First All grain is in the tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
Well I just mashed in about 20 minutes and it's going nicely. I decided to go with a Kolsch today and it's seemed easy enough.

9.5 lbs of grain. Single infusion mash, Strike in at 163, Sacrification Rest at 152 for 1 hour and Mash-out/batch sparge in at 183, rest 10 min at 170 and bing/bam/boom, I've got wort.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well my yield was kind of low at only 67% My target was 1.050 and I hit 1.045. I suspected that this being my first all grain, I'd fall a little short, that's why I targeted the high end of the specification.

Suspected reason for the low extraction rate is the single infusion mash on the Durst Pilsner malt. I had 8 lbs in my grist and even though they claim suffecient enzymes to fully convert, I suspect that a step or decotation mash would have yielded much more from it.

My mashtun worked great.

It is good to hear it went well!

Don't worry about your efficiency too much--you can tweak here and there and fix that.

Forgive me if I missed your thread on your mashtun....but what did you end up going with? Cooler? Manifold or braid?

Congrats!

forumpics_goyou.gif

ORRELSE said:
It is good to hear it went well!

Don't worry about your efficiency too much--you can tweak here and there and fix that.

Forgive me if I missed your thread on your mashtun....but what did you end up going with? Cooler? Manifold or braid?

I used stainless braid in a loop configuration to each end of a 1/2" T in a 5 gal igloo drink cooler.

67% is respectable. To get your efficiency up, you can tweak things like your mash pH, concentrate more on your sparge, try a mashout, different grain crush, etc. Did you fly sparge?

You probably could have gotten more with a decoction, but IMO modern base malts should have plenty of conversion power, making a decoction mash moot. Sure you might gain a couple points, but to me it wouldn't be worth all the extra effort.

ScottT said:
I used stainless braid in a loop configuration to each end of a 1/2" T in a 5 gal igloo drink cooler.

Aha!
Exactly like mine--but I ended up cutting the braid so it wasn't looped anymore. My efficiency went up almost 10 points. :D

Do a few more batches with your setup, and if you are still having problems, cut down the braid. It might help.

Sam75 said:
67% is respectable. To get your efficiency up, you can tweak things like your mash pH, concentrate more on your sparge, try a mashout, different grain crush, etc. Did you fly sparge?

You probably could have gotten more with a decoction, but IMO modern base malts should have plenty of conversion power, making a decoction mash moot. Sure you might gain a couple points, but to me it wouldn't be worth all the extra effort.

I used the 5.2 ph stabilizer in my mash and sparge water. I had ph test strips but didn't use them. I used a batch sparge and I know that this isn't as effecient as a fly sparge, it is simple and quicker. 10 minute sparge instead of a 60 minute sparge. My wheat, munich and honey malt were all crushed well but the Durst Pilsner malt was pretty coarse.

When I dumped my grains, I noticed that the wheat was still pretty much intact. This concerns me a little. I almost did a protien rest step mash but read Palmer this morning and he said that is was only necessary if wheat was over 25% of your grist and that doing one for less would make a watery brew with no head. So taking his advice, I did the single infusion.

Next time I may just do a seperate protien rest in a pot with an equal amount of base malt. This way only a small portion of my base malt will go through the protien rest.

ORRELSE said:
Aha!
Exactly like mine--but I ended up cutting the braid so it wasn't looped anymore. My efficiency went up almost 10 points.

Really? My loop is pretty small, keeping about 1.5" from the outside wall. Are you suspecting channeling?

ScottT said:
Really? My loop is pretty small, keeping about 1.5" from the outside wall. Are you suspecting channeling?

I think mine is about 3-4 inches from the cooler walls.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem I was having was the excess braid was getting stirred accidentally, and the braid would be a good 2-3 inches into the mash. I'm sure that is what was hindering my efficiency, cause it is better now.
I've never suspected my crush, nor have I had much difference in my efficiency from batch or fly sparging. I still do both, depending on time/weather/etc.

ScottT said:
Well my yield was kind of low at only 67% My target was 1.050 and I hit 1.045. I suspected that this being my first all grain, I'd fall a little short, that's why I targeted the high end of the specification.

Suspected reason for the low extraction rate is the single infusion mash on the Durst Pilsner malt. I had 8 lbs in my grist and even though they claim suffecient enzymes to fully convert, I suspect that a step or decotation mash would have yielded much more from it.

My mashtun worked great.

Great job....so how much running around did you do? The first couple of times I felt like I ran a marathon trying to get everything ready. I wouldn't bother changing anything until you get 5 or so batches done. This will allow you to work out the kinks in the system. A 67% efficiency is more than enough for your first time....only 3% off a good target efficiency and that can be gained easily.

Get ready to drink the best beer you've ever made :). I still think its the coolest thing to start with grain and end up with great beer!

-Eric

If you are doing full volume boils try to make sure your runoff's are about the same size.

For instance:

For a 10 pound grain bill I usually mash in with 3 gallons.. when it's time to run off I add another 1.5 to 2 gallons @ 190 (or above depending on promash's calculations and your mash temp) to get me to a 170 mash temp and let that sit 15 minutes and recirc and run off. The grain absorbption on 10 pounds should be about 1-1.1 gallons. So my first runoff will be 3.5-4 gallons.

Then I do a sparge of another 3-3.5 gallons (it's easier to determine this in promash), let that sit at 168-170 for 15 minues, recirc and run off.

Adding this sparge after your mash out (or you can do it after your first runoffs and then mash out after) should help increase your efficiency.

So in short

Mash in
Mash out
recirc
drain off
Sparge
recirc
drain off

Of course those volume numbers will increase if your grain bill is larger or descrease if your grain bill is smaller.

Ultimately I aim to have about 5.5 gallons in my kettle before transfering to a carboy (figure 15% boil off per hour brewing) gives me 6.8-7 gallons pre-boil. Then I lost half a gallon in transfer.

Anyway, good job overall. I hope to see your efficiency numbers rise.. I'm still working on mine as well, but they've gotten better.

Back