Is this a normal time frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2010

Reaction score
Hey all - I am currently 3 days into my first home brew. I bought a kit from my local brew shop, its a Pilsner. The instructions say to leave it in the Primary fermentor for 5 days, until the initial head has dropped, and then rack to the Secondary for 14 days.

Does this 14 days seem excessive? Would there be enough yeast left over to react with the priming sugar after the 14 days?

Thanks everyone!:mug:

The batch I just bottled, was 4 weeks primary, no secondary. I think that's a more "normal" time frame.

Kit instructions seem to be notorious for recommending rapid processing times. Ignore them. Also, for most recipes, a secondary fermentation is not necessary.

Okay great - thanks for the replies.

Also, my primary is a brew bucket without an airlock hole - so I have the lid placed loosely on top - will it harm the brew if i lift the lid to peak in a couple times a day to check on the fermentation?

4 weeks in primary is not a problem at all. In fact, it gives the beer time to clear, and th eyeast time to clean up the byproducts of fermentation. More time yields better flavors.

Many people don't use a secondary unless they are racking onto fruit, or dry-hopping. Even then, you can do those in primary. If you only have one primary fermenter, and want to get a second batch going, that's a good reason to transfer to secondary, once fermentation has completed. Use your hydrometer (you do have one, don't you?) to confirm fermentation is done, then feel free to rack.

Also, my primary is a brew bucket without an airlock hole - so I have the lid placed loosely on top - will it harm the brew if i lift the lid to peak in a couple times a day to check on the fermentation?
Yikes! Don't do that!

Get thee to the LHBS, and buy a lid with either a grommetted hole, or a stoppered hole. Get an airlock, and use it. You can fill it with cheap vodka, or Star-San, or even water. But use it.

Then put the bucket in the back of your closet, and forget about it for about a month. No peeking!

While I agree with Frazier about getting a lid with a hole for an airlock and filling it with said airlock (btw, just drill your own hole, much cheaper), I have to say that being scared of opening your fermenter is over-rated! I have done it many times over the past 6 months and nothing has happened. Of course I make sure the dogs are not around when I do and that I don't have anything fall off my clothes (saw dust, dirt, dog hair and the like). I wouldn't suggest just looking in to be looking in... but if you have to, be safe and don't worry about it. If your just curious how things are going and really want to see it as the magic is happening.... use a glass or better bottle carboy and you will have a front row seat to all the action :)

waiting only 5 days and racking to secondary is the 'wrong time frame' in the original question.
5 days is way too quick. rack when its DONE fermenting completely. not when krausen falls. (if you choose to rack at all...I like a secondary but many do not and just do a 3 week primary, then bottle)

Great - thanks for the replies! I will wait past the 5 days for sure, I will know its done fermenting when there is no krausen at the top and the yeast is done swirling around, correct?

No. The only way to know that fermentation is done, is to use a hydrometer. Take gravity readings 3 days apart, and if they are the same, fermentation is complete.

Right right, makes sense. It has been fermenting for 72 hours now. It has been slowly bubbling, and there is about 1/2 inch of foam on the top. Does this sound about right? In photos of fermentation it looks like there is always a couple of inches of the krausen.

+1 on letting it wait.
+10 on not "peeking" too often... just do it a couple times to satisfy your curiosity.
+100 on getting an airlock!

Be patient, it's worth it. :)

Right right, makes sense. It has been fermenting for 72 hours now. It has been slowly bubbling, and there is about 1/2 inch of foam on the top. Does this sound about right? In photos of fermentation it looks like there is always a couple of inches of the krausen.

Krausen varies batch to batch. Comparisons are pretty much meaningless due to the wide variety of factors that can potentially play a role. Some trends can be meaningful, i.e., you pitch a lot of yeast you may get more krausen, or certain yeast types do more krausen than others... etc. All in all, if you have krausen, be happy, and if you don't, don't be unhappy. ;)

Some quick tips from a fellow n00b:

Leave it in primary for a month. I know I know - Just wait. It's worth it. Think of it this way. You can have crappy beer in 2 weeks, or good beer after a month, or great beer in 2-3 months (Though lighter beers do take less time to develop)
I'm 10 or so batches in since January - My first was awful at 4 weeks (2 primary, 2 kegged) - At 4 months it was great. Now they sit in primary for 3 - 4 weeks. Every time.

Get an airlock and install it in your lid. Then ignore it. Don't count bubbles. Ignore it.
Leave the lid closed. Yea, you'll probably be ok, but why risk $45 in materials, time, and anxiety to infect a batch of beer? Patience.
IF you want to watch your beer ferment, buy a better bottle. They are great. And if we're keeping track, $20 to watch your beer ferment is still cheaper than infecting a batch.
Get a hydrometer - Use it. After 3 weeks or so, take a reading. Then 2 or 3 days later, take another. If they match, you're good to bottle/keg
Let your bottles sit at room temp for at least 2 weeks. Or 4. Or 6. Longer the better, generally speaking.

I know it's a b***h to wait, but this hobby is a lot more enjoyable then the finished product actually tastes good! :mug:

Good luck!

Back