4 Feet Per Week!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
My hops are going crazy already and its not even peak growing season yet. At this rate they'll reach the top of my 22 1/2 foot trellis before July. What am I gonna do? Anybody else have super insane hops?

They will probably stop growing up and start putting out more sidearms. Although people talk about a peak growing season, it varies a great deal depending on location and variety. By way of contrast, my hops are all under 4' tall and I'm 30 miles from a major hop growing area. If the weather guessers are correct, Saturday will be the first time this year that the temperature hits 80F. I suspect it's been hitting that in socal since March or April.

Your plants are on track. My Cascades are going from 6" to 1' pr day my Chinooks are behind. When they reach the top they will stop and start massive side arm growth.They are a insane plant reaching for the sun Were are u located Cheers Glen

I measured over the past week and my Cascade has grown a little over 2 feet. Its incredible how fast hops can grow.

you guys using miracle grow or any other fertilizers? I am in Virginia, my plants are in their second season. Cascades and Galenas are 6 feet.

you guys using miracle grow or any other fertilizers? I am in Virginia, my plants are in their second season. Cascades and Galenas are 6 feet.

I was last year, but this year I am mostly using just compost and an organic slow release pellet fertilizer.

My hops are only about 4 1/2 feet tall, but almost half of that has been in the past week.

Did u train the 1st growth or cut it back and train the second

first growth. this is only my second year so i am still kinda scared about doing anything except letting the plant do what it does. I did trim off about 30 extra shoots and sidearms already from both of my plants(cascade and centennial). Should I be trimming the first growth? I get shoots in April. When should I let the shoots come in? Say i cut back the shoots in April and new shoots pop up in May would I train those?

I used miracle grow my first year but this year I haven't used any fertilizers. I think the weather here has been fairer this year. We don't usually get temperatures below 40 in southern California so in April I get shoots.

Wow I feel pretty good about my first year hops now. I have 3 cascades and one Willamette and right now the strongest Cascade is about 4-5ft up the lattice and the Willamette is about 3 ft but ironically it started the most aggressively.

Two of my Cascade vines are already popping out cones!:mug:

Regards,
Alan

Back