1st Annual Michigan Predators Autumn Brew Day Saturday, 9-26-09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want you to know I hate you all! But seriously hope you all had a great time and didn't get the rain we got here. No more of these great days on family birthdays OK

Thank you Leo and Z for hosting. Heather and I had a great time. It was nice meeting some more HBT people. Looking forward to the next brew day.

made it back in decent time but fell out for about 2hrs:drunk:

thnx to leo and z for the hosting. cool meeting new guys(and the gal yooper) who brew. only had 4 batches go but twas a good day even with my dang pumping problems(i'll be rebuilding my mt and kettle during the ball games tomorrow). we had a very good turnout of 18-20 people which is more than double of our earlier best but again fewer of them were brewing.

so we had(and i know i'll forget someone so just pipe up if it's you)

henryhill and Z(host)
yooper
xiang and swmbo w/oscar
homercidal
freddyb
homercidal's friend tim
reedwalker and swmbo
lederman
fsr402
fsr402's brew crew mike
Z's best mate joanne w/swmbo
mstev50 and swmbo w/dog
me and my swmbo w/dog

Had a great time! Glad to finally get to meet everyone. Special thanks to HH for hosting all of us and for pulling my dog out of the pool!

Just for clarity, Homercidal. IS Jim. Homercidal's friend is Tim. I have heard through the grapevine that Tim will be joining us online at some point in the near future. Apparently he has seen firsthand how awesum you guys are and finally, after months and years of my prodding, has decided to get on this forum and learn more about brewing and hang out.

HenryHill, thank you so much for the very warm hospitality! You have a lovely place and went the extra mile to help a poorly prepared Homebrewer get his batch in the fermenter. I had to scramble a bit because I left my hops and specialty grains at home, and Henry helped me out!

I used my own homegrown hops and found that I veyr likely did not dry them enough, so the weight was going to be off. I just threw a bunch in there. Assuming they were low Alpha, and high weight, I tossed what was about 5 ounces in as the flavoring and aroma addition. We will see. At any rate, it should provide me with a yeast cake for the 10-10-10 brew. At best, it will be the best batch ever. (Crosses fingers).

My only complaint for the day was feeling ill. I had what coudl be described as a fairly hungover condition, except that there was no drinking beforehand. Maybe something I ate? But I made it through and brewed and just wished I had felt better and could have enjoyed more of that wonderful food that prepared.

Someone made some stuffed jalepeno's wrapped in bacon that were very good. All the food was good!

Next time, though, I might decide not to brew myself. I was pretty busy with all of my own stuff and did not get a good chance to hang out and watch others and ask questions.

Now I have to go off and add some people to the how many HBTers have you met thread!

What a fun time. Thanks Leo and Z! Your spread is awesome. What a perfect venue for the event.

I loved it all. Especially trying everybody's beer. I enjoyed them all. (Except for the plastic rubbing alcohol :confused:) I brought the poppers and Ledrman kindly grilled em up for me, cuz I was busy brewin.

Added some pics in my gallery.

Jen and I really enjoyed meeting all of you and hangin out for the day. :tank:

-Rick

A two pound flank steak is now tucked away in the fridge, marinating in a tasty concoction of soy, garlic, honey, red wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, and black pepper. I feel bad for anyone not making it out to this event. Grillmaster, make a hole!

By the way, freddy, that was an AMAZING flank steak. I thought it was my favorite thing served. Well, that and the fantastic pork loin. I kept going back for more, trying to decide which was more perfect.

That flank steak was perfectly cooked- red in the middle, pink on the edges and I could cut it with a spoon. (Which was very fortunate, since somehow I ended up eating with a spoon, but that part is kind of foggy to me).

even my dog had a great time! he's laid out on the floor where he's been for most of the day. walking around stiff-legged and very slowly.

even my dog had a great time! he's laid out on the floor where he's been for most of the day. walking around stiff-legged and very slowly.

That might be because Shadow tried to hump every dog there. If you didn't know already Erik, you have a bi-sexual dog.

I was just thinking more about that great food- the skewered shrimp was really great, too.

I don't know what was better- the beer, the food, or the company.

I had a great time meet you all, talking beer, and enjoying all of that great food. Thanks again to HH and Z for hosting this event.

I agree. The food was awesum! Now that I'm feeling back to normal, I kinda wish I could try it all again! The flank was real good. I missed the cheese, and really wanted to try it, but somehow it just kept slipping my mind.

I hope not too many people noticed that I am a Nerdy Battlestar Galactica fan. But I feel better knowing that Reedwalker and his SWMBO were able to wear their BSG shirts proudly. Maybe it's time to come out of the closet?

Speaking of which, I would like everyone to recognize that there was NO cornholing of either kind. At least not while I was there... What happens at brewday, stays at brewday!

Hey, I just realized that I left my signed copy of Tasting Beer at HenryHill's house. I brought it in case anyone wanted to check it out if they were thinking about picking up a copy. The other book I am giving away, but the tasting beer is a signed copy and I'd really like to get it back. If anyone knows where it is, please PM me so I can arrange for retrieval.

-Homer

Hey, I just realized that I left my signed copy of Tasting Beer at HenryHill's house. I brought it in case anyone wanted to check it out if they were thinking about picking up a copy. The other book I am giving away, but the tasting beer is a signed copy and I'd really like to get it back. If anyone knows where it is, please PM me so I can arrange for retrieval.

-Homer

I found two beer books. IIRC, I have your land addy. I'll get 'em out sooner than later.

The ones I take sukk since I stagger and they come out poor. These are probably Z's.

Here's a link to more pics:
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=8480

Sep_26_09_058.jpg

Lederman

Sep_26_09_049.jpg

Reedwalker

Sep_26_09_022.jpg

Homercidal and Tim

Sep_26_09_028.jpg

Yooper and HH

Sep_26_09_004.jpg

freddyb

Sep_26_09_006.jpg

ErikTlupus and HH

Sep_26_09_013.jpg

xiang and Heather's Oscar

Sep_26_09_024.jpg

mystev50

Sep_26_09_0261.jpg

freddyb, yooper, Mike and FSR402

Sep_26_09_008.jpg

fsr402, Mike-sparging, Jeff, a guy I hooked up with Z's friend-likes good beer

I almost forgot! I wanted to send a special thanks to Freddyb for helping me figure out the emergency recipe. I somehow forgot a few things in the rush of packing and he helped me come up with a SMaSH recipe. He also reminded me that I need to spend a little more time with Beersmith and get it configured even more.

freddyb is the Man. That flank steak recipe and the ability to amaze Z is representative of an amazing person.

All Hail freddyb and Liquid Panty Remover.:mug:

freddyb is the Man. That flank steak recipe and the ability to amaze Z is representative of an amazing person.

All Hail freddyb and Liquid Panty Remover.:mug:

And not only he a great cook, he's good looking, charming, friendly and outgoing. Very hot. Way hot. The flank steak was just the most awesome final touch.

That and a big smear of white stuff going down his pant leg. He was really enjoying himself.

And not only he a great cook, he's good looking, charming, friendly and outgoing. Very hot. Way hot. The flank steak was just the most awesome final touch.

That and a big smear of white stuff going down his pant leg. He was really enjoying himself.

Upload the pic,:drunk::D:mug: please.

HA HA! I forgot about that! White stuff was flying all over the place! I think I got some on my fingers...

I guess you could say I enjoyed myself a little too much.

Oh, yeah, it was quite a party! I personally have never seen anything quite like it. It was going on in the garage, and in the driveway too!

Latest posts

Back