Brewing with Yuri - Video series!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: If you're intimidated by all grain brewing after watching these videos, see this thread. Just because my rig is somewhat complex, it doesn't mean you can't brew great all grain beer with far simpler equipment.

I've been posting videos chronicling a brew day to the 888 thread all afternoon, and I thought they might warrant their own thread. I'll add them as I go, culminating with pitching the yeast.

Links to all the videos in order:

[YOUTUBE]EvU2rhT-_p4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NSyK4wH6wl8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DU9ZLO9l4wA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UXGNI5ET-Mw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[YOUTUBE]gWQIyJU8qs4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eyazoetchv0[/YOUTUBE]

Never measure hops with one hand...it's annoyingly painstaking.
[YOUTUBE]9VQeval_jdc[/YOUTUBE]

These last two were a bit rushed since I needed to get out the door for a New Year's Eve bash. Explanations could be more thorough throughout, I think, but especially in the ones below:

[youtube]CyI9S4QwGs0[/youtube]

[youtube]aW_4nAe5Fbg[/youtube]

Oh, and truth be told...I didn't boil off too much wort...I lost it due to siphoning through my pump while I staged everything for the video. I think I lost about a gallon of precious 888 wort! Oh, well...all in the name of brew education, I guess!

Great videos. I love seeing everyone's setups in action, and yours definately has some unique wrinkles. Very nice!!

Yuri! Wow....I have never seen an AG brewing done before so thank you so much for posting this.

When you were mentioning steam, it made me think of using a steam jacketed kettle for the lauter tun (if that is correct -- the cooler thing). although finding one might be difficult.
:mug:

Allright, I will have to come back to this after dinner.....with a beer or two for proper reviewing.

sTango said:
When you were mentioning steam, it made me think of using a steam jacketed kettle for the lauter tun (if that is correct -- the cooler thing). although finding one might be difficult.
A steam jacketed mash tun or MLT (mash/lauter tun, which is indeed what my cooler is) is a kind of Holy Grail for homebrewing. Micro and even macro breweries use just such animals, but you're right, they're hard to find. ...and if you find one, it's likely to be well outside your brew budget. I'm sure I could make one, but I think I'm going to stick with steam injection for now.

Very cool, not the way I will be going about AG once I start but still very cool to observe and learn what I can from your process.

Yuri, it was fascinating to watch your brew session and see all your gear in action. I must confess that my setup is quite a bit different (read simpler), but the process pretty much remains the same. Thank you for sharing this with us.

p.s. One thing I think I could find a lot of use for is one of those March pumps.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Love the music.
Sirius channel 15, Classic Rewind.

Iordz said:
Cool videos Yuri! I have to ask, where did you buy the bulk dry yeast from?
Thanks for all the positive feedback!

I bought the bulk yeast through a professional brewer with whom I have personal ties. He politely asked me not to divulge too many details, as his business is not homebrew supply.

...and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Very cool Yuri!

I have never done a starch conversion test with iodine before. I did a little test this morning with a sugar solution and then corn starch solution. Now that I see how simple it is I will do it every time! It seems like a very simple way to confirm all went well with the mash.

Amazing videos. Very educational!!!!!!!!!!!! I want steam on my system very bad. Yuri, you are the master of professional looking everything. I cannot wait until you get the new mash tun up and running. Good luck with your move.

Very fine work Yuri, thank you again for all the hard work into this project! You've raised the bar for all of us in terms of your contributions to HBT. I only hope that I can help 1/10th of the people that you have helped and continue to help.

When you sanitized your BB, did I see correctly that you've commandeered a lawn/garden sprayer for your sanitizer applicator? That's a neat idea, a way to one-up the ol' spray bottle.

To answer a few questions and make the series a little more complete, here are another three videos I uploaded previously:

:
(with my garden sprayer. Yup, chriso, you saw correctly. The sprayer has never had anything but Star San solution in it.)

[YOUTUBE]iDZ6ZM9Hngo[/YOUTUBE]

:

[YOUTUBE]WWaUK6BhnZw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
That sprayer looks like it saves you a TON in sanitizer costs. I've been grieving my poor sanitizer efficiency - I only have 2 oz left in my 16 oz bottle that I bought at the end of September. I need to restock, and more importantly, I need to dump less sanitizer. I think kegging will help this immensely though - because then I can keep a sanitizer keg, and push it back and forth instead.

Thanks for the idea!

Awesome videos! Thanks for taking the time and sharing, definitely great info for someone who has not gone AG yet. Whose I/O hardware and software are you using? As an industrial controls engineer that was my favorite part of your setup! After the steam generator of course.

DrunkenSailor said:
Whose I/O hardware and software are you using?
I'm using an Arduino microcontroller board as a serial comm conduit to feed temperature and pressure information to the laptop, and to receive on/off state data and control solid state relays. I wrote the software you see on the laptop in Java using the NetBeans IDE and RxTx serial comm library.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm using an Arduino microcontroller board as a serial comm conduit to feed temperature and pressure information to the laptop, and to receive on/off state data and control solid state relays. I wrote the software you see on the laptop in Java using the NetBeans IDE and RxTx serial comm library.
Nice job! I am not familiar with Arduino, I'll do a litlle research. Looks like it works pretty well.

Definitely a sticky series. Very very impressive and hats off to you Yuri for producing this series of videos. This will boost a tremendous number of newbies and oldies to better brewing.

Way coool Yuri! Your set up looks nice and seems to work very well for you. You have your process well dialed in.

I also liked the dog helping out in clean up! And gotta love satellite radio, I listen to it all the time brewing as well, I usually dial up coffee house for my brew days. :)

Thanks much for the vids were very interesting and informative to watch!

Cheers,

I am always amazed at how cool your brewing equipment is. That is one cool video series and I thank you for taking the time to get it on film (?internet?:) ) for us all. I'll be doing my first AG batch this weekend and this helped alot.

Youri, of all your brew day gear I have to say the most impressive item is the ash tray. I love that ash tray man, duct tape rocks! If the women don't find you handsome, at least they will find you handy!

Hey Yuri, I finally got around to watching this series of videos. I have never seen a AG brew actually take place. I have been doing my homework for making the jump to AG, but after watching your videos I realized that there are still several aspects that I am a little unclear on. I have a better understanding now after seeing your vids. I love the DIY mentality! I especially liked seeing a sparge in action. I've always been more of a Visual learner, so I don't always fully grasp something until I actually see it done.

Thanks for the vids Yuri, and keep 'em coming!

I am a brand new to home brewing so sorry if this is a stupid question:

Why did you use sanitizer in your airlock instead of just plain water; can bacteria get into the fermentation bucket through the airlock?

Jamie said:
Why did you use sanitizer in your airlock instead of just plain water; can bacteria get into the fermentation bucket through the airlock?
It's just an extra measure of protection. It's probably unnecessary, but it can't hurt. If the temperature in the fermenter changes by more than a few degrees, it's possible for a few drops of liquid from the airlock to be sucked into the fermenter.

Cheese und Krackers Yuri, you be da Mad Scientist of HBT! I can't wait for you to move to Texas! Great stuff!

Latest posts

Back