Looking to try a new extract beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saersy

Reaction score
I'm a pretty newbie brewer been doing it for a couple of months now. Brewed lots of different beers from wheat to dark ales to stouts and so on. Just wondering what people have made from extracts and if they could share there recipes with me lookin to brew a couple of batches up. I usually use the coopers kits and just work from there. Look forward to seeing and trying some of your recipes :)

Just made a brewers best German Oktoberfest , will be ready in about 5 weeks. Even purchased a hb liter glass stein to drink it from. I will post to let you know how it turned out. Go beerfest.

Did you use a larger kit for that? I've been wanting to do a lager but i live in Australia and its too hot at the moment. If you could share your recipe that would be great, looking forward to hearing how your Oktoberfest goes.

What kind of beer are you looking for? My best extracts have been my Simcoe IPA, my basic stout (good on its own but also good for additions to make a PB stout or chocolate stout), and my Lawnmower Saison. All very different, obviously.

Ill drink any kind of beer just lookin to make something different. I've made an ipa and a chocolate stout. What's a lawnmower saison? That sounds interesting.

Go to the Recipe Database
Pick a style.
Look for "Extract" under the "Prefix" tag.

I'm an Austin Hombrew Supply fan, and they have 1133 offerings, probably all with an extract option.

Made the Oktoberfest with a bb recipe, this will be the first one that I brewed as a ale. Should lager this beer but we will see how it turns out.

I don't get why they call some of the recipes extracts when a heap of them need grains and hops isn't that partial extract or mini mash brewing I'm newbie so have no idea how to brew these types of beers

I don't get why they call some of the recipes extracts when a heap of them need grains and hops isn't that partial extract or mini mash brewing I'm newbie so have no idea how to brew these types of beers

Steeping grains are often for flavor and/or color, without contributing many/any fermentables to the wort (as is the point in a partial mash). I personally think steeping grains add a ton to extract beers. Almost as much as punctuation adds to a post.

Generally you steep at ~170, which is too hot to convert starches to fermentable sugars.

Steeping grains are what really set most extracts apart from each other. Otherwise, they start to run together without the help of a charactered yeast.

I've used a lot of Cooper's cans as a base in my beers. You could take a look at my recipes to see if the ones I've listed suit you.

Click on the word "recipes" under anyones avatar to get a drop down window of the recipes they've listed. And by the way,170F is too hot for steeping. I never go over 165F.

170F too hot? Why?

The general concern here seems to be astringency from tannin extraction, but personally, I've not experienced this. Palmer says that isn't prevalent until past 170F.

www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13-2.html

Not saying 155F is wrong, but you'll be extracting fermentables, especially if you remove from heat. If you're steeping for, say, 20 minutes in an open pot on the stove, you'd probably be best off to start around 170F with the heat off so you have room to drop over that time.

I mash in around 168-169 and sparge at 168. That's not uncommon. If it created off flavors, they be prevalent in every brew I make. And they're not.

It was always said that tannin extraction starts at 170F. So I stay a bit below it. Not to mention,the higher the mash temp,the less fermentable so the book writing experts say. The lower temps give plenty of color & fermentability. And you def do not have to mash on the heat to maintain a good mash temp. I get the BK/MT wrapped up in my thinsulate lined hunting coat for the 1 hour mash after being well stirred. It gains 1 degree over the course of that hour rather than loosing temp any other way.
And now they say it isn't temp,but PH from water volume that extracts tannins. Whatever. I'll take a chance on neither. Better safe than foolish saying whatever,I'll do what I want cause it worked before. Maybe that's true. Someday it may not.
Sometimes I just don't understand these pro guys saying X for decades. Then turn around & say Y is doing it,not just X. What the F ever.

My mash in is ~168 because I don't preheat.

Ill tell you once I wasnt paykng attention and forgot to remove heat. It hit 180 before I noticed. No tannins that I could taste. was my robust porter. So far, my best brew to date. Super smooth and silky.

Man,it's one of those things where they said don't go over this temp,or you get that. No wait a minute,don't do it with too much water or the PH will do that. No wait a tick...sheez. I've gotten some different flavors that have a kind of crispness to them at cold drinking temps. But nothing I'd say makes the ol' smucker pucker...yet. I've been going on the fact that I do a fine crush for BIAB,& the high temps I was getting might make that astringency they talk about. But the Thinsulate hunting coat makes mash temps so much easier,it's pretty much a dead issue at this point.
I just feel it's better not to temp fate by ignoring it's presence.

Generally you steep at ~170, which is too hot to convert starches to fermentable sugars.

Steeping grains are what really set most extracts apart from each other. Otherwise, they start to run together without the help of a charactered yeast.

Generally, you steep more like 150-160 degrees. A high pH (typical in steeping) can create tannins at over 168 degrees. If you haven't had that problem, that's good. But I still suggest to everyone to not steep grains over 160 degrees.

Back