Seasoning a Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
I've been pretty lazy over the years, and my hurricane burner has a fair amount of corrosion product on it. Rain and dew have taken a toll. I recently used a wire brush and a coat hanger to poke each hole. I then coated it with safflower oil. I wonder if I baked it in in the oven for a few hours, seasoning like I do with skillets from time to time, I'd gain any advantages. The burner itself doesn't seem to get that hot during use - maybe not enough to season like I do in the oven.

Anyone else season their burners?

Cleaning all the crud off is a fine idea (especially the inside - spiders love these burners), but propane burning in sea level air runs around 2000°F.

So I'd be surprised if anything you put on a hurricane or banjo burner surface would stick around for very long, but as long as it's something non-toxic like veggie oil it isn't not going to hurt anything to try.

More productive in the long run is to keep your freshly rehabilitated burner out of the elements between use...

Cheers!

Yeah, but a lot of the heat from the flame goes up as hot air, and the body is cooled by the flowing propane. I'll see if it gets a nice seasoned layer after a few uses.

Back