Quantitative assay for characteristic compounds in wild ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

failbeams

Reaction score
I plan on designing a quantitative assay to profile various wild ales (lambic, gueuze, flander's red and brown). I plan on testing ethyl acetate, acetic acid, and total volatile acids. I am also looking into additional compounds to add to the assay (depending on the ease/cost of creating a quantitative test for them). What are some characteristic compounds that you would like to see added? So far I have only looked into Isoamylacetate and a few phenols, but no sure-fire test methods yet...

What about an assay for species of yeast and bacteria? What would be really neat would be a qPCR assay at different time points during fermentation and conditioning to see how proportions species shift during development.

What about an assay for species of yeast and bacteria? What would be really neat would be a qPCR assay at different time points during fermentation and conditioning to see how proportions species shift during development.

you've figured out part 2 already! :mug:

After the profiling is done I will be using the assay with qPCR to study population dynamics and gene expression is a few different mixed cultures.

If you don't mind me asking, is this part of work for a graduate program or do you work in a lab? Or, are you just very rich and inquisitive?

Is this volatile compound assay going to be on a mass spec? It does sound like you are looking for a grad school project. The proteomics and metabolomics core at my school has loads of collaborations with our local breweries.

Is this volatile compound assay going to be on a mass spec? It does sound like you are looking for a grad school project. The proteomics and metabolomics core at my school has loads of collaborations with our local breweries.

They want to avoid using the mass spec because they have a limited number of columns (all being used). I am talking with a few companies about making a biolog type test or a custom ELISA assay. Will hear back in a week or so

They want to avoid using the mass spec because they have a limited number of columns (all being used). I am talking with a few companies about making a biolog type test or a custom ELISA assay. Will hear back in a week or so

This would be an interesting project. Biolog assay maybe, but you cant make an elisa for organic compounds and volatiles like those. Although presence of certain proteins in various beers would be cool, and elis-able. If not mass spec or NMR, you would almost certainly have to use chromatography.

That would be an awesome doctoral project. So many questions could be asked.

Idk that anyone would be willing to give you enough money to pull it off though.

Back