Upland inconsistencies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
Hello all in regions where Upland is sold. Now don't get me wrong, I'm usually a fan and a supporter of Upland beers, but sometimes they have bad batches and they have no problem putting them out to sale. To me this seems like they think people don't know anything about beer.

I've had a pint of the wheat that had the typical band-aid taste, and a friend of mine had mentioned the same thing. Most recently I had their Infinite Wisdom triple on tap and it tasted and smelled pretty strongly of nail polish remover. This bar has good clean lines and all of the other beers I had that night were great (including Arctic Panzer Wolf on tap, whee!).

So, anyone else have this problem?

All breweries have the occasional bad batch.
I sampled a few of Upland's beers (including Infinite Wisdom and the wheat) last weekend at Crown's May Fest, and have had Infinite Wisdom on tap at my local, and didn't notice any off tastes.

I know that breweries can have bad batches, but shouldn't they sample them, and if not up to par not release them? I'll still buy Upland products from time to time because for the most part I think they're a great brewery, but every once in a while they make me lose confidence...

When I first moved to BTown I was up Upland at least once a week after work for a drink or 2. I've since experienced similar events where the favors are inconsistent and just a little off. I have only noticed this when buying bottles at the liquor store. Everything I've had on tap at the brewery has been fantastic. Not sure what's going on, but I'm to the point that I only drink their beer on tap at the brewery any more.

As a former employee I won't delve into the details of these situations; however, I will say that there have been some decisions made by the shot callers aka businessmen that I don't agree with. During my time there, they had a bad period of infections (can't remember what bacterium) that affected the shelf life of the beer but only after a couple months. Being a large financial decision, they would release these batches hoping they'd be consumed/sold quickly before the quality suffered.

They go through so much beer at the restaurant that the beers on tap are always fresh.

I'm still in touch with a lot of the brewery workers and they have reassured me that everything is on the up and up. With a little change in management, the beer going out is back up to par with the quality they're known for.

Important: If you live near the Indy tap house or Bloomington place, take your ****ty beer back to them. They'll exchange it for free if you can explain the off flavor.

I love their Dragonfly IPA and I bought a 6er of some last week and the hop aroma wasn't the same intensity and the malt flavor was completely different.. that was the first time I really noticed a big change from batch to batch.

With Dragonfly that could just be an age issue. Glad to hear an ex employee backing me up on this too. I'm actually not trying to badmouth them or anything, they can make some really nice beers. It's good to hear that it may be changing though! :mug:

Now if they can just get Gilgamesh out for less than $22 a bomber...

Back