Kegorater - Cold Plate Freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
My Kegorater is a HAIER.

Pretty standard looking machine.

The issue or problem I have is that the COLD plate in the back of the fridge freezes. If I turn it up to where it does not freeze the temp will only get to 50F.

Question: Is this a common problem and is there a fix.

2nd Q. I drink lagers when I buy them. I brew ales and put them in the soda style kegs.

What is a good temp to serve ales? I know I like lagers colder than 50 but I wonder if ales are ok @ 50. I think I just like colder beer.

anyway.. I like some of the pics I have seen turning chest freezers into kegs and a place to condition lagers. How does the beer not freeze in these units?

Thanks for your insight.

T
from Texas

I am assuing you are using an external thrmometer for temperature control, if not try getting one they are about 50 bucks. Put the thermometer in a bottle of water, it will change temperature slower than the air around it, and keep the fridge from freezing.

I am sorry I am not following.

There is a themastat on the outside of the keg that controls the internal temp.
I put an independent thermometer on the inside. One in a pitcher of water. which will only get to about 49 and the other one just for the inside air temp. It reads 50.

By freezing, do you mean ice is forming on the cold plate? If so, it's a common problem and all you can do is defrost the system occasionally.

50F is very good for ales.

Back