Fruit flavoring vs puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I just made a raspberry wheat clone of Purple haze and the recipe is calling for 4oz raspberry flavoring to be added at bottling time. Is this an accepted practice or is it better to use puree in the secondary?

Purée all the way. The extracts taste too similar to cough syrup. If you don't mind taking the extra time, and spending a little more money, the purée will give you a much better beer.

Just made an apricot wheat. I put 3 lbs of apricot purée into the primary about 3 days after fermentation began. I let it sit for a couple weeks, cold crashed it for a day. I then added 2 oz of extract at kegging time. It turned out perfect. The color and flavor are exactly what I was hoping for

So what would be a procedure I would follow at this point. Beer is in primary for about a week and a half now. How much puree? How long?

I am planning on adding 2 cans of strawberry puree to a White I have in primary right now. Also looking for insight on proper amount.

1 3lb can of raspberry purée from Oregon fruits is plenty. The raspberry purée is pretty potent. I made a simple American wheat with it, and 1 can was plenty noticeable.

To the other poster, strawberry is a hard flavor to get to shine through. You may need 2 3lb cans of purée. Personally, I have never used sb so you may want to ask someone more familiar with it. That's just what I've heard.

This is correlative to my experiences with sauces, not as much beer, with a little beer experience. (I am an amateur saucier, or flying saucer, whichever)

For 5 gallons in order to incorporate a good flavor, I would use 2 lb of canned puree, or 4 pounds of fresh berries pureed in a processor or blender.

I can say that rasberries tend to IME throw off more flavor than some other berries, so I may would go a bit lighter, depending on the intensity you desire. Maybe 1.5 lbs. Of course if you want it really fruity, add more.

my better half likes fruity wines so I figure if I can make a real fruity beer, she will become my drinking buddyette :)

I am planning on adding 2 cans of strawberry puree to a White I have in primary right now. Also looking for insight on proper amount.

I got 6lbs fresh strawberries, cut them up and smashed them a bit, then washed them with hot water and threw them in the secondary for 2 weeks. I think the strawberry flavor is fantastic.

Anyone have a similar experience with mango? My usual secondary is out of commission, so I will probably just add the puree/chopped mango to the primary, and hope for the best.

Danke well.

(of course, the dancing banana for a fruit-flavoring thread) :ban:

Add some acid malt to the mash to really bring out good fruit flavor. Carapils will help maintain body

I'm about to make a Purple Haze clone as well...I was looking into getting a 49oz (3lb) can of Raspberry Vinter's Harvest puree but I'm not sure how much to use for a 5 gal batch.

wsgbane said:
I'm about to make a Purple Haze clone as well...I was looking into getting a 49oz (3lb) can of Raspberry Vinter's Harvest puree but I'm not sure how much to use for a 5 gal batch.

I used all 3lbs when in made my apricot. You may want to add a little something that will balance the tartness that comes with fermented fruit. Using some carapils will help maintain body. Lactose could offset some of the tart

not to hijack the thread. I brewed an American Wheat yesterday and after primary I would like to split the batch. 1 gallon or so in a secondary with raspberry puree and the rest in bottles. Anybody have a recommendation on how much puree for a gallon? Does anything need to be done before adding it to the secondary or can it go in straight from the can?

My experience :
I made a raspberry wheat (5gal) and used 1 can of raspberry puree (vintners harvest, 3 lb) in secondary. It was a DRY beer and it turned out VERY acidic. It was good, but very very tart and dry. NOT a sweet girly dessert drink by any stretch.

I bottled a simple pale ale with blueberry extract last month. I used 2 oz of extract in the bottling bucket. This beer was sorta based off of a seadog bluepaw clone. The blueberry flavor is perfect in terms of strength. I think it tastes....artificial, sort of sharp. Almost medicinal. In the future I will try using both in combination to see if it's better balanced (and because I want my blueberry beer to be blue dammit!)

Blueberry recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/1212783/fruit-beer-recipes/byo-blue-paw-clone

Raspberry recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/581366/fruit-beer-recipes/raspberry-wheat

1 added the 3 pound can of raspberries and when your ready to carb add a little lactos to improve body and take some of the tartness away. About 4 to 5 ounces per 5 gallons.

flabyboy said:
Add some acid malt to the mash to really bring out good fruit flavor. Carapils will help maintain body

How much acid malt to 5-6 gallons?

barrooze said:
How much acid malt to 5-6 gallons?

My malt bill was

4 lbs 2 row
4 lbs white wheat
7 oz carapils
7 oz crystal 20
7 oz acid malt

This is a recipe given to me from a professional brewery and it turned out great. This was used on very soft water as well

Vitners is mostly corn syrup. Adjust fermentables accordingly.

I've used fresh Raspberries in a wheat beer. Quite excellent. 3 Ice Cream containers full of frozen Homegrown raspberries to 4-5 gals of beer in 2ndary. Sit a week. Added 1/2 cup of table sugar to keg to help with some sweetness.

10 gal batch
12# Wheat malt
10# Pale
1#Honey malt
2 Oz Mt. Hood @ 60
Mash 148 for 75 min.
US- 05
Loving it ~~

I make an apricot wheat beer that I've always flavored with apricot flavoring from Silver Cloud (Apex). Their apricot flavoring is good but for my next batch I plan on using one 49oz can of Oregon apricot puree. I think it'll be even better.

Latest posts

Back