A few newbie Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I am on my 7th batch of homebrew. Here are a few simple questions I havent found the answers to.

1: Do your regular house lights affect the taste of beer or just sunlight??
2: Does it matter if my primary temperature changes from around 75 down to 65 degrees F.
3: Once you condition it in bottles and put in the fridge can you take it back out and age at room temp??
4: What kind of temp should I store my brew at after bottling??

Sorry if I am being a pain in the A$$ but I want to get the best out of every brew.

1) UV light is what skunks beer, bulbs in your house should not produce UV.
2) You want to ferment your beer at the range your particular yeast uses. most ale yeast are between 62 and 70.
3) why would you remove them once chilled?
4) if you are carbonating with priming sugar for bottling, try to store around 70 degrees and swirl your bottles once a day to keep the yeast in suspension. This will help carbonate faster.

I can answer the first 2 (sort of the 3rd).
About the light- I consider all light bad. I simply throw an old work t-shirt over my carboy's. I wear an x-l, so it's big enough. For you small and medium guys, this may not work.
About the temp- It's my understanding that such dramatic temperature changes are bad for the yeast. I would try to avoid them. I don't know why you would put bottled beer in the fridge and then take it out to condition, but it doesn't sound good.

You got some pretty good answers already so I won't address them.

As for storing your brew after bottling...you need to let them bottle condition (build carbonation) for a couple of weeks depending on the room temp.

When your carb level is at a place you like it you need to put all your beer in the fridge to retard the process. The cold makes the yeast dorment. Once in the fridge you should leave it there. If you took your bottles out of the fridge they would warm up and start exploding if you bottled too early and the yeast was still very active.

Personally, I have cases of beer that have been conditioning for months and have never been placed in the fridge. I drink a lot of my beer at room temp, but that's me. If I want a cool beer I'll put it in the fridge, but other than that it doesn't see the inside of my fridge.

Back