New Brew Pot - What Should I get

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMaltPoet

Reaction score
So I am finally going to be able to get a good brew pot for myself. I need to know what to get. I know this has probably been beaten to death out there but figured I would start another thread to get some feedback.

I am thinking about getting the Blichmann Boilermaker 10gal. But I have some concerns with this.
1) I don't think I am going to need the thermometer in a boil kettle
2) I don't think the sight glass is going to benefit be in a boil kettle and from what I read is just a PITA because it needs to be cleaned
3) Not great with using hop pellets - I believe that there the hopblocker is out now that might not make this an issue.

There is one caveat to all this though. Right now I do my AG brewing in a split pot on my stove. So when I get this kettle I will not have a HLT. I currently have a 10gal Rubbermaid Mash Tun. If I use the kettle as a HLT instead I will probably want the site glass and thermometer on the pot. Maybe I can use as both a HLT and a boil kettle? But then I would need an intermediary vessel to collect runnings during sparge.

How do others tackle this? Let's assume I do not have the capital to invest in 2 10 gallon pots (which of course I do not).

Also, If there are suggestions on other pots I should be looking at, let me know. Maybe the Blichmann is not worth it for the setup I currently have.

It pretty much boils down to personal preference and your budget. If you think you are going to ever do 10 gallon batches get a 15 gallon pot. If you are sure you are just going to stick to 5 gallon batches get a 10 gallon pot.

Your main choices are;
- Blichmann
- Polar Ware
- Mega Pots
- Keggle
- Economy pot like an Update International.

Whatever you pick I would say that a valve would be important - whether it comes with one or if you put one in yourself.

There are also our line of Heavy Duty Kettles, so don't forget those :) (http://morebeer.com/search/102208/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Kettles_Burners)

You are on the right track, I think, with not needing a therm or sight glass on your boil kettle.

If you have split batches between two boil kettles and your new kettle will be used for a boil, then don't you have two kettles still to use as HLT's? How are you doing the HLT now? Sorry if I missed that part.

I vote for a keggle. Simple, sturdy, inexpensive

Converted kegs are very heavy, cumbersome and generally ugly. The bottoms are not flat which results in poor heat distribution. The skirt retains heat long after flame out which can inhibit cooling. I have one, but would much prefer a 60 qt SS kettle. These issues are much less important when using a keg as a boil kettle than as a mash tun.

If you have split batches between two boil kettles and your new kettle will be used for a boil, then don't you have two kettles still to use as HLT's? How are you doing the HLT now? Sorry if I missed that part.

I heat the water in one of my 2 4 gallon pots, use it for mashing session, then fill both pots and heat for sparging. I empty my mash tun into a fermenting bucket. by this time my pots are now empty. Then I transfer (by tediously ladling), back into the original boil pots. I think I may have to continue using my bottling bucket if I want to use a single vessel for HLT and BK.

It pretty much boils down to personal preference and your budget. If you think you are going to ever do 10 gallon batches get a 15 gallon pot. If you are sure you are just going to stick to 5 gallon batches get a 10 gallon pot.

Your main choices are;
- Blichmann
- Polar Ware
- Mega Pots
- Keggle
- Economy pot like an Update International.

Whatever you pick I would say that a valve would be important - whether it comes with one or if you put one in yourself.

I was thinking about a 15gal to do 10 gal batches in case I ever want to. Right now I only do 5gal, but I have been thinking about 10gal. I would need to upgrade my equipment though if I went this route.

I have both a Polarware pot and a coverted keg. As soon as I can get rid of the keg I will. Just my preference because of the weight and is not as efficent as my pot. I bought a 10 gal pot and then decided to increase volume. Wish it were a 20gal pot. Think of your brewing future before you buy. I think a valve is a must. I never wished I had a sight tube, but couldn't do with out my valve. ust my $.02

I have both a Polarware pot and a coverted keg. As soon as I can get rid of the keg I will. Just my preference because of the weight and is not as efficent as my pot. I bought a 10 gal pot and then decided to increase volume. Wish it were a 20gal pot. Think of your brewing future before you buy. I think a valve is a must. I never wished I had a sight tube, but couldn't do with out my valve. ust my $.02

+10 My sentiments exactly. I also have a 10 gal Polarware with the full FB and it is my favorite piece of brewing equipment. A 15 gal Polarware MT is in my future. Yes, a valve is definitely a must. I have no need of a sight tube or a dial type thermometer either. Good advice on planning for future upgrades. I failed to do this more than once and I paid for the error. You will almost certainly be brewing at least 10 gallon batches in the future if you are a typical home brewer.

You might want to take a look at Stout Tanks and Kettles

They offer some very nice products if you are brewing with a propane burner and have a pump to use for whirlpool.

I have a single tier brewstand and I find the sightglass and thermometer in the brew kettle a necessity. I can sit back and watch the level rise and temps go up during sparge. It gives me a better idea when I should stop sparging and when the kettle is actually going to start boiling.

But, to each their own :mug:

For those that want a more traditional pot, Bayou Classic has a very nice
44 quart stainless stock pot for $96.00

1036_stainless_steel_pot.jpg

+1 on the planning for the future. As expensive as kettles are I definitely agree that you want to get a decent one (with a valve) now, and not have to upgrade, later. I got a crazy Black Friday deal from morebeer on one of their kettles, last year (not to mention free shipping). If you aren't in a hurry, maybe the online venders will be throwing out some incentives again, this year.

+1 to klyph's link to the update international pots. I have an 80qt and it is study as a rock. The price is right for them as well.

15 gallon pot even if you never plan on doing a ten gallon batch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1,000,000,000,000 to myself and anyone else who said this (didn't take time to read all the responses).

This is coming from a 5 gallon batch brewer who currently owns a 10 gallon pot and wishes he spent a few more bucks on the 15. .........

Check craigslist for kettles. I picked up a 15 gallon Polarware w/thermometer for $75 and I have been very happy with it, though if I had a choice I would definitely buy a 15 gallon.

So I am assuming, other than a higher evaporation rate using the 15 gallon will not be an issue for 5 gallon batches. This is not too much of a concern for me as I can just over compensate for my pre-boil volume.

So I am assuming, other than a higher evaporation rate using the 15 gallon will not be an issue for 5 gallon batches. This is not too much of a concern for me as I can just over compensate for my pre-boil volume.

Right. The difference in the boil off rate will be trivial and easily mitigated. You can start the boil with slightly increased volume or add more water sometime during the boil. My boil off volume can vary substantially depending on how much heat I apply. It can be less than 1 gallon to more than 2 gallons. My normal boil off is somewhere between 1 and 1-1/2 gallons for a 60 min boil. It's nothing to worry about.

I have a MoreBeer 15 gal mega pot with ball valve and added a thermometer. I do 10 gal batches and start with 13.5 gal. That much liquid leaves very little head space and the thermometer has become essential for me to predict/prevent boil overs if I want to do other things while bringing the wort to a boil. If 10 gal batches are desired I would go to a 20 gal kettle. I am.

I have a MoreBeer 15 gal mega pot with ball valve and added a thermometer. I do 10 gal batches and start with 13.5 gal. That much liquid leaves very little head space and the thermometer has become essential for me to predict/prevent boil overs if I want to do other things while bringing the wort to a boil. If 10 gal batches are desired I would go to a 20 gal kettle. I am.

This is good advice, and the reason I went with the 20gal.

FWIW, I often boil 12 gallon batches in a converted keg (15.5 gal capacity). My pre-boil volume is usually about 13.5 - 14.5 gallons. It's not unusual to have the wort only about 3/4"" below the kettle rim at the start of the boil. I do have to watch it closely at the beginning of the boil and sometimes I use foam control to help avoid boil overs. I start the boil gently and increase the heat as the free-board increases. I would love to have a 20 gallon kettle though and I would much prefer a kettle over the converted keg. I don't have a thermometer on my boil kettle. Never have and never will. Boiling is boiling and it's pretty easy to tell visually when the boil is about to begin in earnest. Not to say I don't have an occasional boil over or partial boil over, but I brew in my garage which has a floor drain, so it's no big deal to hose things off when it does happen now and then. I do like those Megapots a lot, especially for use as a mash tun because of the aluminum clad bottom.

I thought about getting the 60qt version of this and adding a valve, but I was just worried about drilling into my pot and having it leak. I don't have the option of welding it so it would have to be weldless.

I'd recommend splurging and paying a welder to have it welded on. If that is absolutely out of the question I think people have had success with weldless fittings.

I use a morebeer 8 gallon pot w/ ball valve for 5 gallon batches. Works great but I have a lot of mooch friends and always keep beers on tap so I'm wishing I bought the 15 gallon so I could start doing 10 gallon batches to stave off the mooch friend loss factor....

As far as the quality of the pot goes, I love it but have no experience with any other "beer specific" kettles.

Ball valve is a must for me because I pump through a CFC and into my fermentor.

How difficult is it to install a weldless valve on one of the Bayou Classics? I just don't want to damage the pot if I spend the money on purchasing one. I could get 2 of these and two valves for the price of one Blichmann if I install the valves myself. Although I love the thought of owning a Blichmann and kind of had my heart set on it, I may be able to get more with this setup sooner. I guess as long as it is good quality and will last a long time and the valves are easy to install without issue, I should at least be considering this.

As long as you have a decent drill and a titanium stepped drill bit (you can get them on eBay for under $10 shipped) it is relatively easy. Aluminum is a lot easier to cut than stainless steel. Just make sure you take your time and don't drill the hole too big.

There are instructions and pics on the bargainfittings website.

A thermometer is essential for me since I keep my pot covered until temp hits approx 205F. I guess in the heat of summer not a big deal to keep lid off, but when the garage is 25F bringing 13+ gal to boil can take significantly longer without a cover.

With a thermometer I can check the kettle from a distance without having to stop what I'm doing to raise the lid to take a peek. Each brewer has their own process.

After putting a ball valve and thermometer on my kettle, I couldn't believe how dumb I was to have not done it sooner

get the largest pot you can afford or work with. I started with a 7.5 went to a keggle . Now I use a a 30 gallon aluminum pot its lighter than the keg and it heats faster

new3.JPG

I have this pot, it's great.
I got the one with the steamer basket, I use it to steam chicken wings and seafood as well as brew :D

Wings - what a great idea!! I have the 15g version with the steamer basket that I was just considering selling on Craigslist because I never use it for brewing. I'm keeping it now.

Latest posts

Back