Did I KILL my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed my second batch of beer yesterday...

Figured I'd rehydrate the yeast this time since I didn't bother on my first batch. Well, I read the instructions wrong and used BOILING water instead of warm water... It's been 12 hours and I see no activity... No spare yeast on hand... Suggestions?

MURDERER!!!!!!!!!

But seriously yeast are wise and probably anticipated you doing that, so there were some survivors. These survivors should reproduce and make plenty more. Someone wiser than me has said RDWHAHB, I would take a gravity reading and another in a few days if there is no airlock activity. If there is no gravity change or activity I would just pitch another batch of yeast.....

Yep, you fried them little suckers like a boiled lobster! Go get another packet and rehydrate with water that's approx 80F.

MURDERER!!!!!!!!!

But seriously yeast are wise and probably anticipated you doing that, so there were some survivors. These survivors should reproduce and make plenty more. Someone wiser than me has said RDWHAHB, I would take a gravity reading and another in a few days if there is no airlock activity. If there is no gravity change or activity I would just pitch another batch of yeast.....

Would there be any problem of waiting till Friday to pitch more yeast? (Can't really get to the beer supply store till then)

Also, the "beer supply store" is actualy a wine shop that has very limited supplies and 0 knowledge on beer supplies. What type of yeast should I be looking for? I was brewing the Imperial Blonde Ale from a Brewers Best Kit.

Would there be any problem of waiting till Friday to pitch more yeast? (Can't really get to the beer supply store till then)

As I understand it, every hour that goes by unpitched is an hour that your wort is susceptible to being overtaken by other organisms or wild yeast (which are undoubtedly in there now).

Having said that, you gotta do what you can do, I suppose.... It'll probably be fine.

As I understand it, every hour that goes by unpitched is an hour that your wort is susceptible to being overtaken by other organisms or wild yeast (which are undoubtedly in there now).

If you have sanitized well, and your primary is sealed then there's no issue....there is often 72 hours of nothing happening that we call "lag-time" which occurs quite often in brewing. And there's also this little thing called "no-chill" brewing where the wort is poured boiling into a container and sealed up and yeast is not pitched for at least 1 day, if not more, and again no issues with "other organism" there either.

Just keep it sealed, get more yeast as soon as you can, and spray sanitizer on everything before you open the fermenter to re-pitch, and you will be fine.

you beer is hardier than most folks starting out give it credit.

If our beer can survive some of the idiotic stuff WE'VE done to it https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

If you are careful, yours will survive some unwanted lag time.

If you have sanitized well, and your primary is sealed then there's no issue....there is often 72 hours of nothing happening that we call "lag-time" which occurs quite often in brewing. And there's also this little thing called "no-chill" brewing where the wort is poured boiling into a container and sealed up and yeast is not pitched for at least 1 day, if not more, and again no issues with "other organism" there either.

Just keep it sealed, get more yeast as soon as you can, and spray sanitizer on everything before you open the fermenter to re-pitch, and you will be fine.

you beer is hardier than most folks starting out give it credit.

If our beer can survive some of the idiotic stuff WE'VE done to it https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

If you are careful, yours will survive some unwanted lag time.

True enough! :mug:

As a lesson to be learned, go ahead and pick up a couple packets of dry yeast for this very problem. US-05 and Nottingham are good neutral choices and throw them in the fridge.

Good luck. :mug:

As long as you are sure of your sanitation then you'll be fine.

I agree. The issue is you either have:

-Some surviving yeasts that will continue to do their thing and make beer, this will be similar to "under pitching" and may cause a few off flavors, but nothing that would be horrid or force you to dump the batch. You may also have to let the beer ferment a bit longer.

The above scenario is very probable as you dumped a small amount of boiling water into the wort. I will not argue that the yeasts on the top and the middle area of the wort are probably dead, but that would not kill them all off as the water temp would equalize out FAST.

or

-All of the yeasties are dead. If this is the case then your wort is in stasis and is susceptible to infections, wild yeast, ect.ect. but only if these contaminants are introduced to the wort.

I would NOT screw with the airlock or the wort until Friday. I would check to see if the airlock starts bubbling again by then, if it does I would not worry about things, if it does not I would pitch another batch of yeast.

BTW if you do add in more yeast do NOT add in yeast nutrients! Yeast will cannibalize the boiled corpses so you basically have yeast nutrient already!

Also, the "beer supply store" is actualy a wine shop that has very limited supplies and 0 knowledge on beer supplies. What type of yeast should I be looking for? I was brewing the Imperial Blonde Ale from a Brewers Best Kit.

PM me your address. I'll send you a package of yeast if you can't get any. You'll want Nottingham or S05.

Hey, I might be up your way sometime this summer!
My GF's best friend and her husband have a cottage up there and we're supposed to go up for a weekend at some point. Not sure when.

You'll have to tell me where I am going to be able to find drinkable beer. :mug:

If you're close enough to Graying, my basement! :)

I would suggest Short's brew pub in Bellaire if you're going to be anywhere near it. Great beer. :)

Yes, you need to repitch immediately. I have 10 spare packets of dried yeast on hand at all times for situations just like this.

I cried a little when I read the OP's words. Poor little yeasties, they never had a chance.

But if he pitches fresh, those boiled one's then become yeast energizer. They are cannibals by nature. I often add some bread yeast to the boil for exactly the same reason. The new one's will eat the dead puppies right away.

And ferment like crazy then eh? I called the wine store and they sell Coopers and a "few other varietys but I dont know what" yeast. If I dont see any activity by Friday morning I'll drive down there and see what they've got.

Thanks for the offer Yooper, but I should definately have some suitable replacement by Friday. Even it means driving to a real homebrew supply store.

Back