HBT Pilots...MMW, with request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMW

Reaction score
I know there are several here and to be honest, I need a butt kickin'.

I'm a 60 hour student pilot and have been working on my PPL since the end of April '08. I took a break from September to March of this year due to work reasons and just missed all of June due to family, work, weather, and plane availability.

I'm close, though. Very close. I flew with my instructor this morning (to renew my again expired solo endorsement) and his words were: "If you can take a month off and fly like that, there's no excuse for you to not have your ticket."

What remains:
*Shore up ground reference maneuvers: Air time should clear these back up.
*Flight by reference to instruments: 0.7 hours required to meet the recs.
*Short field landings: On the mark, on the center line.
*Written. I'm scheduling today. I've been putting it off far too long.

Where I need help:
I need someone to stay on my hide about finishing this up. My goal is checkride passed, ticket in hand by the first week of August. Is there anybody who'd care to check in every few days or so and publicly humiliate me or something if I haven't made any progress?

I'm not a pilot, but an expert ass kicker. Get your license, you procrastinating boob.:D

Have you completed your cross-countries yet? If so, you are DEFINITELY there. Keep in mind, every time you take a break of 1-week or something like that, the first 1/2 of your next lesson is "getting back in the groove," costing you money. I'm sure you're not made of that--if you are, call me!

Once you get your license, then the real learning begins! : ) I'm sure you've heard this and its true. But, once you get your certificate, you can take passengers with you! You can grab a girl or friend and go get breakfast on Saturday morning. You could fly down to the Gulf for the day and do some sightseeing.

So get off your ass and finish up! : ) And there is more cool stuff...tailwheel endorsements, high performance endorsements, glass cockpits...the list goes on.

-200 hr ASEL

I took an Introductory lesson about a month ago and it was a very bitter-sweet experience for me. I know sometime in the future I will get my license, but right now time & money constraints are keeping me from my dream.

So stop your belly aching and realize there are people out in the world who aren't as lucky as you, and finish the last 1% of what's required to get your ticket. If your instructor is basically telling you you're ready, they just do it!

/toughlove

Seriously though, you're almost there, so get on it!

Kind of sounds like you are not really that into it anymore if you need someone to push you, I mean I am just saying. Is that why you need a push or do you really just want to talk with others about learning to fly and flying? That is cool too and I guess this is a good way to get others attention. Good luck, sounds like you are about there.

Good luck! I regretfully didn't finish up mine. I was doing checkride prep and the weather wasn't cooperating, then my daughter was born and I haven't been up since before then. Hard to find time anymore and now my written has expired and my medical is expiring soon.

I'll probably get back on that horse when I've got more free time and extra money sitting around.

This probably wasn't helpful, but maybe theres a lesson in it. Finish up as quick as possible before life throws you a curveball

BTW, I don't fly but those 2 seat 1 prop planes and helicopters fly directly over my house all the time on approach to the small airport down the street.

Have you completed your cross-countries yet? If so, you are DEFINITELY there. Keep in mind, every time you take a break of 1-week or something like that, the first 1/2 of your next lesson is "getting back in the groove," costing you money. I'm sure you're not made of that--if you are, call me!

Yup. Long solo XC completed 7/30 of last year. I was damn near done when I had my work/flaky CFI induced break last September. That sucks because cross country is the fun part (for me)-- nothing is more boring for me than turns around a point out in the practice area (which is exactly why I need some butt kickin' to stay on course).

I'm fortunate in that (1) I have a flexible work schedule right now and I'm not traveling as much and (2) my desk is 137 paces from the door to the FBO :ban:

I took an Introductory lesson about a month ago and it was a very bitter-sweet experience for me. I know sometime in the future I will get my license, but right now time & money constraints are keeping me from my dream.

So stop your belly aching and realize there are people out in the world who aren't as lucky as you, and finish the last 1% of what's required to get your ticket. If your instructor is basically telling you you're ready, they just do it!

/toughlove

Seriously though, you're almost there, so get on it!

Renewed solo endorsement in hand, I'm flying every morning at 0600 local until I'm done. :rockin: I hope the starts align soon for you and you get to start too. :mug:

Kind of sounds like you are not really that into it anymore if you need someone to push you, I mean I am just saying. Is that why you need a push or do you really just want to talk with others about learning to fly and flying? That is cool too and I guess this is a good way to get others attention. Good luck, sounds like you are about there.

I'm WAY into it, I just really enjoy the cross country flying aspect of it. Tooling about looking at the tops of tree farms is pretty exciting for a bit but isn't the most exciting part of flying.

Good luck! I regretfully didn't finish up mine. I was doing checkride prep and the weather wasn't cooperating, then my daughter was born and I haven't been up since before then. Hard to find time anymore and now my written has expired and my medical is expiring soon.

I'll probably get back on that horse when I've got more free time and extra money sitting around.

This probably wasn't helpful, but maybe theres a lesson in it. Finish up as quick as possible before life throws you a curveball

If you ever get back into it, let me know and I'll cheerfully kick your but across the finish line. :D

I bet you are a quitter!!! That is what I think, never finished anything in your life and never will!!!

....does that help any? :D

I bet you are a quitter!!! That is what I think, never finished anything in your life and never will!!!

....does that help any? :D

Only if you do the R. Lee Ermy impersonation:
R_LEE_ERMY.jpg

1.3 on the Hobbs this morning. Hit my wake both directions on steep turns :)D), reviewed slow flight, turns about a point, S turns across a line, and a handful of touch-n-gos.

Next up, review for the written today, flying again at 0600 tomorrow

Lesson of the day: Nothing makes you feel as inadequate in a C182 like a C-17 parked on the ramp.

Lesson of the day: Nothing makes you feel as inadequate in a C182 like a C-17 parked on the ramp.

Heh. I bet a Heavy like the Globemaster III burns through the weight of your aircraft in fuel just climbing to cruise altitude at MTOW. :D

Keep it up, many of us envy your position already... I'm a long time Flight Sim user currently studying to become a Vatsim controller, and in a year or so I will start training to become a RW pilot.

You freaking pansie... youve been working on the PPL for a YEAR? How many years did it take you to finish highschool? 12? WOW, cmon!

Kidding bro.

Look, you are very close, and it sounds as if you have talent. You can teach anyone to "fly" but few have talent. If your insructor thinks you have talent, then you do, and you should be driving hard to finish this.

It took me a little over 2 years to get all the way through my Commercial/Multi/Instrument ratings. I know life gets in the way, but you can do this, and each day you put it off, you are cheating yourself. Looking back I have had copious amounts of training and I cannot imagine doing it all over again.... BUT you are there, you are seeing the light, think of the relief you will feel when you are heading to the airport to fly... not perform for someone.

Captain "Pol"
8000 hour ATP

You can do it, and in NO TIME, commit, set aside time. I know you watch tv daily right? If you have time for that, you have time for this, and it is much more valuable!

BTW, I burn through 2,000 pounds of fuel to get to cruise altitude, what does a 172 weigh at GTOW?

BTW, I burn through 2,000 pounds of fuel to get to cruise altitude, what does a 172 weigh at GTOW?

C182N...2950 lbs max GTOW, 2800 lbs max landing. 172...I donno. :D Thanks for the support everybody. I figure the best way to keep me on my stuff is post this publicly so I have to keep on it.

As a reminder of my inspiration, FL270 in a Rockwell Turbo Commander 690B somewhere between Dallas and Denver:
100_1362Small.jpg

It took a year to get the details sorted out, but that was the flight that pushed me over the edge

I was lucky to get my ticket before the economy tanked. I was more than halfway through IFR. I have an excuse, what is yours? Get on it, 2 to 3 days a week. It will happen fast at that rate.

Another 1.2 on the Hobbs this morning. It will be a miserable day for flying later since it will be 103 F here today-- the chop down low had already picked up by the time I landed at 8. Wind was out of 200 for runway 13 at 7 kts making a pretty good scenario for some crosswind practice.

I'm will try to fly Monday morning before work and set my next lesson for Tuesday morning.

Flying every day should get you there in no time. GET THAT WRITTEN DONE!! If you are worried about passing that, then you are a long ways from being ready to take a check ride. I still take practice writtens every so often just to make sure I'm still ok to be teaching the stuff.

Keep us updated on your progress and we'll all be cheering you along. I'm off to fly!!!

Chuck
-CFII, MEI, 1250 hrs

I flew over Billings today Chuck... on my way here to Edmonton. Little weather north of there today.

Hey, I rented a 172 at Laurel two summers ago.

MMW, you know what rocks? When the carpet cleaner rental chick as Safeway asks for a second form of identification and you whip out your pilot's license:D

+++ Even though I can't fly do to financial constraints, I still have pride in the card. Same pride you will have once you FINISH..... NOT everyone can call themselves a pilot. A homebrewer, yeah anyone can do that. Sounds like you are finally on the fast track. Keep it up.

I think Id whither and die if I did not fly...

It is tiring as hell, but I love it, even at 5am... I just love it. Bouncing around storms, weaving between thunder heads at 38,000 feet... nothing can compare to that... and that is routine! Nothing is more disappointing than flying all day in clear skies...

I got my groundspeed above my fuel flow the other day. That was a first.

Formation flying, spins, split-S's, seeing the VSI pegged low on a high approach, etc...that kind of thing keeps me pretty motivated. I don't know if how many civilians get the chance to do that stuff, but if you've got the opportunity, do it.

I got my groundspeed above my fuel flow the other day. That was a first.

Formation flying, spins, split-S's, seeing the VSI pegged low on a high approach, etc...that kind of thing keeps me pretty motivated. I don't know if how many civilians get the chance to do that stuff, but if you've got the opportunity, do it.

Ground speed above fuel flow??

Ground speed above fuel flow??

Yeah, fuel flow at max blast down low is about 290 lb/hr and only buys about 200 kts. At FL210 I was getting 215kts over the ground according to the GPS (only about 170 indicated) for only 205 lb/hr.

I forgot to add while straight and level.

Holy crud... that is an economical plane...

At idle I can get 1000lbs per hour, at cruise at FL380, 3400lbs per hour.

I am not sure exactly what our indicated airspeed is at FL380, but is it about 450KIAS TAS and .78M

Yeah, she's great for our training, but not much range. Its just as well, my a$$ can't handle much more than two hours at a time. Pretty impressive landing distance, we actually use split field ops here where one plane can be cleared for takeoff at midfield while another is touching down at the approach end of a 6000' rwy.
T-34C-Turbo-Mentor-015.preview.jpg

edit: I don't know what the story is with the one in the picture having "ARMY" on the wing.

Our APU burns more than that thing! I am really surprised. Been a while since I flew a turboprop... so I cannot recall what sort of burns I got in those.

Looks like a fun plane.

KGGG 061059Z 34005KT 1 3/4SM +RA BR FEW002 BKN015 OVC070 24/24 A2989 RMK AO2 P0000 $

I'm not going any where this morning :eek:

The Skylane burns 75 lbs per hour at 122 KIAS, btw ;) Not bad with 80 gallons in the tanks and better than 750 lbs useful load :rockin:

Hey, I rented a 172 at Laurel two summers ago.

MMW, you know what rocks? When the carpet cleaner rental chick as Safeway asks for a second form of identification and you whip out your pilot's license:D

I had to use my TX CHL (concealed handgun license) to get a boarding pass and through security in Miami once (SWMBO was on the other side with my cell phone, DL, boarding pass, and the kids :mad:) That was a couple of interesting conversations.

Our APU burns more than that thing! I am really surprised. Been a while since I flew a turboprop... so I cannot recall what sort of burns I got in those.

Looks like a fun plane.

I flew my last flight in her last night. :rockin: Even if I come back here as an instructor it will be long gone in favor of the T-6 Texan II. On thursday I'll find out what I'm flying next. Likely to be the T-45 Goshawk or the TH-57 Sea Ranger. Possibly a C-130.

I flew my last flight in her last night. :rockin: Even if I come back here as an instructor it will be long gone in favor of the T-6 Texan II. On thursday I'll find out what I'm flying next. Likely to be the T-45 Goshawk or the TH-57 Sea Ranger. Possibly a C-130.

Hey question; from the links it appears you fly choppers too. My uncle is friends with a guy who owns a chopper buisness and borrowed his desil truck while here on visit. On the back was a tank with a pump like in a gas pump. My uncle said the guy needs to have fuel pulled from the choppers for testing every so often and after they are done he put the rest into the tank and uses it for the truck. A truck can run on that fuel fine?

Hey question; from the links it appears you fly choppers too. My uncle is friends with a guy who owns a chopper buisness and borrowed his desil truck while here on visit. On the back was a tank with a pump like in a gas pump. My uncle said the guy needs to have fuel pulled from the choppers for testing every so often and after they are done he put the rest into the tank and uses it for the truck. A truck can run on that fuel fine?

Sorry, haven't had any experience with helos yet. If, on thursday, I find out that I'm to be a helo pilot then that's what I'll fly next. Anyway, I have no idea what would happen if you put avgas or jet-A in a truck.:cross:

Coastarine,

Congrats on finishing primary. Make sure you let us know what you select. What were your preferences, if you don't mind me asking?

Back