Move on to partial grain or one more extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbolte1976

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I was planning on doing one last extract kit, I've had just fair results in the past with these. My plan was to not use dextrose but another can of extract and to buy some quality yeast (instead of the yeast included) and see if this improves my results.

or....

should I just switch to a partial grain kit?

Do you guys think the above changes will yield a lot better beer than what I've gotten from a can of hopped extract and dextrose?

Like always thanks for the help,

Jason

You will get a better product using malt instead of dextrose. Why not purchase a decent kit with some steeping grain and a pack of US-05 yeast. I would bet it would be better.

The easiest next step is probably steeping grain + dry malt extract (unhopped) + hops. It will taste a LOT better than the "kits" you've been using. I have a guide here which will show you how easy it is:
All Centennial IPA - Step by Step: How to make an extract beer « Homebrew Japan

I would agree with homebrewjapan. Try steeping grains, unhopped malt, (LME or DME), and adding your hops to the boil. Once you are comfortable with this, then try your hand @ partial mash.

Cheers,

+1 on all the others above me.

Plus - anything will yield better results. Not saying YOUR results are bad - just that . . .anything it better LOL

Why not purchase a decent kit with some steeping grain and a pack of US-05 yeast. I would bet it would be better.

+3 or 4! Partial or all grain is not going to magically make better beer....you can get award winning beer from extract: grain is just a way to do even more tweaking of ingredients. I haven't done that many extract kits, but the mass market one that I liked the best was Brewer's Best brand. They seem to do pretty well with their malt extracts, specialty grains, hop substitutions, and yeast packs to maintain costs.

I went from extract to partial and you really only add one process that takes a little bit longer, b/c you have to steep the grain instead of just boiling the LME but it is def. worth doing. I had 2 extract kits under me before I switched to partial and its def. worth it.

I would say go for it!

It sounds like you are ready to try something new. I started with steeping grains and liquid extract right away and I have LOVED the beers that I have made. So have the folks in our household since the first two batches are almost gone!

I found the steeping grains with extract was very easy, only took about 25 minutes longer and made a great brew!

I only did three extract batches before I moved on to AG. No need to delay if you're going to do it later for sure. The sooner you do the faster you will get it right.

Back