stainless shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I need to buy eight shanks for my keezer and I am considering stainless. I'd love to find some with a welded nipple, but apparently you can only get those in plated shanks.

The least expensive 4 inch long stainless shanks I have found are these Stainless Steel Shank Assembly - 4-1/8" with 1/4" Bore from Micro Matic. They are $19.30 each. I really wanted 3/16th inch bore, but I can't find any four inch long SS shanks with 3/16th inch bore that are this inexpensive.

Does anyone know of a fairly cheap source for 3/16th inch bore SS shanks of roughly 4 inch length, or SS shanks with a welded nipple?

Can I mate up a 3/16th tailpiece to a 1/4 inch bore shank without problems? I know I can put 3/16th line on a 1/4 inch nipple, but if a 3/16th tailpiece will work with the 1/4 inch bore of the shank, that would make for a better fit on the beer line.

If I'm reading your post right then Superior Products would have them a bit cheaper.

Shanks from Superprod. Not sure by the description if these are full stainless or not.

That's the thing. They don't say if they are stainless, so my assumption is that they are plated.

I have to pay sales tax for Superprod since they have a store near me in Texas. That makes them only $3.82 cheaper than the SS ones from Micro Matic, since I don't have to pay sales tax on the ones from MM.

Just stretch 3/16 line over the 1/4 in nipple. The 4 ", 1/4" shank wont make a difference as long as the 3/16 line is long enough to produce the necessary back pressure. You will have to warm up the line before stretching it over the nipple but it will stretch and will not leak or blow off even using the cheap vinyl line from HD or Lowes. The fit is perfect without clamps, although I add clamps for security. this way you don't have to hunt hard to find parts.

I know I can stretch it. I just figured if I have to buy tailpieces for my shanks, I might as well buy the 3/16th ones, assuming they can be used with a 1/4 inch bore shank.

Latest posts

Back