Protein rest for small amount of wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing an APA and wanted to add .25 lb of wheat malt for a little head retention. I'm wondering if the protein rest is necessary for such a small amount of wheat? All the other grains are well modified so I'll be doing an single step infustion mash.

No. The wheat malt you are using is probably very well modified as well as the rest of your base malt. Unless you are using a high percentage of unmalted grain, there is no reason for a protein rest, IMO.

I would not bither with one for that amount of wheat malt. By the same token, I do not know if a mere quarter pound will do much for your head retention. For a typical APA grain bill, you probably will notice a slight change, though.

TL

TexLaw said:
I would not bither with one for that amount of wheat malt. By the same token, I do not know if a mere quarter pound will do much for your head retention. For a typical APA grain bill, you probably will notice a slight change, though.

TL

I wasn't sure if that was enough either but I read that between 2 and 5 percent will do the trick.

Back