Two-toned after a week long cold crash and gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
I have an unusual beer in the clearing tank right now - a cranberry ale. It sat on fresh cranberries for two weeks and now I'm clearing it to keg. Unfortunately the clearing process isn't going so well. After gelatin and a couple days at 34F, it developed a weird two-toned appearance, and a week later this hasn't budged. Has anyone seen this before and do you have any suggestions?

My webcam isn't that great, but you can see it ok in the picture.

2013-01-11-230146.jpg

That's what I was afraid of. You don't think more gelatin would help? Maybe the first dose wasn't enough to attract all the crud...

i don't think more gelatin would help. how much did you add the first time? the best fining agents are cold temps and time.

This happens when liquids of different SG's form layers as in a layered cordial or liquore drink.
Try giving it a gentle swirl to get the layers to break up.

OMO

bosco

I think I'll try that since it looks like the gelatined-out stuff has already formed a pretty compact layer at the bottom. At worst that'll add a couple days clearing time, right?

Back