How NOT to Brew - Chapter 3: The Chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best line in the video: "I think it'll be OK, well it has to be OK." IT WASN'T OK. Awesome man. Some of my best laughs are at myself so cheers to you on that front.

Great video! I laughed out loud. Love the dog licking your bunghole, but for me the best part was when you're standing around, KNOWing it's too full, and I could just see the thoughts going through your head as you try to convince yourself it's ok to just pour the yeast in. That was awesome! Thanks so much for posting this.

I was thinking, "if he was sober, he'd know that he would have to pour some of that wort out."

Drinking and brewing. Gotta love it.

Yeah, it's a good thing I didn't videotape my buddy and me brewing when we were starting out. We'd have some real dumb moments to show people.

"Seriously? A freaking RADIATOR HOSE? You have GOT to be kidding me."

How did it turn out? That's the important question.

It was a lager. Pitched the yeast at 80F and fermented in the garage or somewhere similar. I don't think I would have won any awards with it. Can't remember, actually.

From my notes:
"There is a slight off taste that might be DMS. Probably need to boil longer next time."
No, passedpawn; the off taste was probably a combination of just about everything you did there.

Am I the only person that equates brewing to cooking?
Meaning that I like to do it in a clean, controlled environment from start to finish?

I wouldn't chill in a pool, leave the kettle open for God knows what to fall in it, have animals running around, etc. But hey if it works, more power to you! :rockin:

How NOT to Brew. See?

I have a big shiny 15g electric system with pumps, plate chillers, silicon tubing, quick disconnects, etc now. It is still not a laboratory environment though.

hahahaha. "I nearly capsized the pot trying to retrieve it from the middle of the pool." Priceless. You make it sound like a Naval Operation. And just the thought of your kettle floating away... Thanks for sharing.

hahahaha. "I nearly capsized the pot trying to retrieve it from the middle of the pool." Priceless. You make it sound like a Naval Operation. And just the thought of your kettle floating away... Thanks for sharing.

Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh

P4040021.JPG

A salute to you, my fellow brewer, for having the courage to post a video the rest of us would have instantly destroyed at all cost and eliminated all evidence that it ever existed.

Loved it! As others have already mentioned it takes a brave/good man to joke about himself. I couldn't believe you didn't pour a little wort out before adding that starter. Awesome!! Thanks for brightening up my day, I think it's the first time I laughed all day. :mug:

I missed this thread the first time around so I'm really glad it go updated. I'm going to show SWMBO tomorrow so she will realize "creativity" is part of brewing!

Thanks for a great Christmas gift!

Back