Craft beer to bring back from Il?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
Mty wuife will be taking a trip to Peoria to visit her mom in March or April 2013. I've told her to make sure she brings back some 3 floyds.

What else should I make sure she gets? It has to be store available, she won't go to a breewery to get a growler filled or anything like that.
Are there any liquor superstores in mid-northern Illinois I should direct her to?

I am not sure what is available in the Peoria area, most of my favorite Chicagoland breweries probably aren't distributing out there yet. 3 Floyds might not even be that easy to find in that area. I would try picking up some Two Brothers (my favorite being their Cane & Ebel).

I am not from Peoria, but I used to get down there a couple times a year.

"Friar Tuck" may be her best bet for a one stop shop to get stuff as their store used to be fairly large and well stocked.

I would lean towards 3-floyd's (Friar Tuck usually had a good selection in stock) or Two Brothers. I don't know of many other Chicagoland breweries that distribute in Peoria. They may have something from Wild Onion, but I am not sure. It has been a couple years since I have done any beer shopping in Peoria. I remember it being a bit hit or miss.

I don't think 3F has a distributor in Peoria. My wife flies in there every couple of months and has never found any. I usually have to wait till she goes to Chicago.

Floosmoor Station may distribute there, I enjoy their IIPA.

Two Brothers Brewery - Cane and Ebel Red Rye, Northwind Imperial Stout, and Heavy Handed IPA are all good beers as well.

Lakefront Brewery out of Milwaukee may distribute there as well and every single beer I've had from lakefront is amazing, highly recommend.

The closer to the Chicago you get, the better the selection. In the collar counties of the city you'd be able to find a few good places to pick up good beer. Stay out of Chicago and Cook County unless you want to pay double digit taxes. Peoria is about 150 miles from there.
3 Floyds is always good.
Revolution is decent.
Finch's is good
Half Acre is good
5 Rabbit is pretty good
Two Brother is a definite.
Lakefront out of Milwaukee is pretty good
Osso from Wisconsin is good.
New Glarus is excellent but only available in Wisconsin. - Stores on the IL/Wi border are always stocked
Metropolitan was hit or miss for me.

The closer to the Chicago you get, the better the selection. In the collar counties of the city you'd be able to find a few good places to pick up good beer. Stay out of Chicago and Cook County unless you want to pay double digit taxes. Peoria is about 150 miles from there.
3 Floyds is always good.
Revolution is decent.
Finch's is good
Half Acre is good
5 Rabbit is pretty good
Two Brother is a definite.
Lakefront out of Milwaukee is pretty good
Osso from Wisconsin is good.
New Glarus is excellent but only available in Wisconsin. - Stores on the IL/Wi border are always stocked
Metropolitan was hit or miss for me.

+1 on Half Acre... reminds me I need to get some Daisy Cutter cans for the holiday.

Saving this whole thread to give to her if/when she goes.

Any local dunkel weizen worth trying?

Being a peoria area native, 3 floyds isn't that easy to come by around here (especially some of their more noteworthy beers).

If you aren't from the IL area, and the distribution isn't available to you in your area, try some Goose Island brews from the Chi-town area.

Schlafly is brewed in STL, they've got an awesome pumpkin beer in the fall.

If you are around the Amana, Iowa area, try picking up some of the Millstream brews made in the Amana colonies. Very small scale brewery- but I had an AMAZING dopplebock from there.

But, as mentioned before- Friar Tuck is going to be your best bet for craft beer in peoria, Period.

Latest posts

Back