Regulator location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
I plan to build a keezer for use outside. In the TX heat, how bad would it be to put the co2 bottle outside in the shade and run a remote regulator in the keezer.

My thought is that the regulator may change the output pressure if the regulator changes temperature. But, if the tank gets hot, it will only change the pressure sent to the regulator, so the regulator output should not change since the regulators are designed to take different pressures as you drain down a tank. Does this all make sense to you?

My preference is to not waste a bottle worth of space in the keezer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

CO2 tank pressure does not actually change as the tank empties. Temperature changes will affect tank pressure, but the volume of liquid CO2 remaining will not.

Running a high pressure line between external tank and internal regulator is probably the most expensive option (those high pressure hoses and fittings aren't cheap). I'd just go with the classic tank-plus-primary-regulator and run a low pressure line to a manifold inside the fridge/keezer...

Cheers!

I think i can get a hp hose made for relatively cheap. I know the store bought ones are around $50.

What is the problem that people have when the tank is not in the freezer? I thought it was that the regulators changed their outputs with temperature changes. Am I wrong?

If there are no problems then having everything outside of the freezer is better for space conservation inside.

I think i can get a hp hose made for relatively cheap. I know the store bought ones are around $50.

What is the problem that people have when the tank is not in the freezer? I thought it was that the regulators changed their outputs with temperature changes. Am I wrong?

If there are no problems then having everything outside of the freezer is better for space conservation inside.

Regulators do not change output pressure with temperature changes. I've never heard of anyone having problems because their regulator isn't in the fridge/freezer.

Having the regulator at room temperature or warmer is actually better than keeping it cold, since it will react faster to adjustments. When it's kept cold and you adjust it from say 10 psi to what you think is 14 psi, you might have actually set it to 15-16 psi without knowing it because it's slow to react.

So, why is it that several people have told me it is better to have the tank and regulator in the fridge and that having them outside will lead to more foam?

I just assumed that the pressure changed with temperature and that inside was more stable.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.

So, why is it that several people have told me it is better to have the tank and regulator in the fridge and that having them outside will lead to more foam?[...]

Occam's Razor suggests you just were unlucky enough to consult with the several people that don't know what they're talking about...

Cheers! ;)

You should be fine as long as the tank is not over filled. See section 2 of Catalina Cylinders "Dangers of Overfilling CO2 Cylinders" document I have linked below. I would just upload the document but it's too large.

http://www.kegkits.com/CO2/dangerofill.pdf

I plan to build a keezer for use outside. In the TX heat, how bad would it be to put the co2 bottle outside in the shade and run a remote regulator in the keezer.

My thought is that the regulator may change the output pressure if the regulator changes temperature. But, if the tank gets hot, it will only change the pressure sent to the regulator, so the regulator output should not change since the regulators are designed to take different pressures as you drain down a tank. Does this all make sense to you?

My preference is to not waste a bottle worth of space in the keezer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Back