So check this out... Port Brewing/Lost Abbey - Best customer service ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureJack

Reaction score
So I've noticed lately in my local retailers that the Port Brewing (aka Lost Abbey) Mongo and Wipeout on the shelves was bottled back in April. Not terribly old, but certainly past the recommended 3-month window for freshness and most definitely not the same as a really fresh batch.

I went to their website and emailed customer service to let them know, and and asked if they had any suggestions on increasing the availability of fresh beers in my area. I got a response within 24 hours - informing me they do not deal with their retailers directly but are always reminding their distributors to rotate the IPAs and ensure they are off the shelves within 3 months.

Then they told me they would love to send me a fresh bottle of Mongo. I got this email on a Friday afternoon.

On Saturday afternoon, this FedEx package shows up at my door.

They were already my favorite brewery. This certainly reinforced that belief.

FreshMongo.jpg

That is pretty sweet. I love Mongo. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with freshness of supply at my local stores.

I never have before until the last few months. I get most of my beer on my commute between Ventura to Woodland Hills. The freshness thing is a recent development at the Total Wine in TO and then I saw the same thing at Wade's Wines in Augoura - which usually is all over the fresh IPAs. Makes me wonder if this is a hiccup with the distributor covering this area.

If you ever get a chance to visit them in person, you won't be disappointed. Lots of beer on tap In their production facility and a really cool place to sit on a grain bag and sample some craft beer. My last trip to San Diego, we took the time to visit and tried lots of their beers for a believe a buck a taster. The coolest was sampling an APA that hadn't even been named yet (believe its their Summer Pale Ale). Left with Bombers, a tap handle, banner, and a lot of memories - very cool group running that place and highly recommended.

I'm just bummed that Oklahoma hasn't come out of the dark ages with their beer laws - cant get it here...

I've not been able to try their beers yet, but I'll make a mental note that they're good people. Thanks for sharing.

Back