Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Fest!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
This was my first opportunity to go to a beer fest like this. It was a lot bigger and there were a lot more people than I expected. Although, I really had no reference point to know what to expect.

Over 60 Michigan breweries represented. Over 450 beers to choose from. A little bit of rain, but well-timed sightings of short lines to get under the tent and grab a beer took care of that.

I tasted some totally awesome beers from breweries I hadn't even heard of before.

My pick for favorite newly discovered brewery is definitely Greenbush Brewing Co. from Sawyer, MI. I tried 3 of there brews. Their 1825 Belgian Strong Ale out of a cask with raspberries was delicious, but I liked there Isole Dubbel even more.

Here are a few other highlights from my tastings:

- Caramel Lager from The Hideout Brewing Co. in Grand Rapids - Definitely sweet with notes of tropical fruit along with the expected caramel.

- 440 Pepper Smoker from Original Gravity Brewing Col in Milan (***brewed with jalapeno peppers***) - Nice smooth amber ale with heat from the jalapeno building in the back of the throat over the course of the 3 oz. taster. There was just a hint of the jalapeno in the aroma and flavor, but that warming effect was great.

- Sour Cherry Tripel from Big Rock Chop and Brewhouse in Birmingham - First time I've had something that sour. It smelled like turpentine when I first took a whiff, quite a shock after having a heavily bittered IPA right before. After I got a couple sips I was getting into it and enjoying it greatly. Birmingham is only a 15 or 20 minute drive for me, and I had no idea this brewery was there. I'll definitely be checking it out in the future.

- various selections with Grateful Dead inspired names from Sullivan's Black Forest in Frankenmuth - Very tasty all around. I know I had the Lost Sailor IPA and the Grateful Red, might have had others too.

There were others as well. I definitely didn't have anything that tasted bad. The ones I listed above were just more inspiring than the rest that I had. The whole event was a blast, even with the rain. Would've liked to make it back today for a chance to make it around to more breweries. But I will be definitely be marking off some time in my schedule for the Detroit Fall Beer Festival in the Eastern Market come October.

I wish I could have gone this year. I went to both sessions last year as my first beer festival and my first trip to Michigan. I really enjoyed everything about the trip including stopping at Dark Horse for dinner on the way home.

I was too busy drinking to take pictures. Also, alternately dealing with the high fives and **** talking I got for wearing a Spotted Cow t-shirt to a Michigan beer fest.

Here are some pics

MBG_GBS_15YR_Logo_FIN3-920x755.jpg

052f9442b9bad1948a31ee341053540b.JPG

4836629864_2bcf6d5341_z.jpg

2_Fest.jpg

4825186793_e2fe70336f_z.jpg

It was a blast. Good crowd. Awesome weather. I was fortunate enough to be able to volunteer at one of the breweries for the day. I served a ton of beer to a ton of happy people. :rockin:

Hats off the Michigan Brewers Guild for another awesome event. :mug:

Easily one of the best brewfests i've been to in years.
Great weather, excellent turnout by vendors and some awesome special beers!

Back