new brewer equipment purchase recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
Looking to branch out from wine and cider and get into brewing beer over the summer. I'm looking to buy a boiling pot and wondered if a 30qt Turkey fryer would be something to consider for heating my mash? Post holiday sales are putting these into the $25-30 range.

My concerns are the aluminum pot vs stainless and the 30 quart capacity only allowing a ~5 gallon fill and boil

The turkey fryer pots work pretty well for this as long as you are sticking to 5 gallon batches, and don't try to do something typically requiring a long boil (e.g. Wee Heavy). Especially if you use a bit of fermcap-s, you can easily manage boils in those without too much trouble. I used one for a quite a long time before building a larger system.

I am not going to get into the whole stainless steel vs aluminum thing, as there have already been hundreds of threads on here debunking that myth. The only thing to watch out for with those pots is that they are kind of thin, so you NEVER want to heat it empty, especially on a propane burner, and you also don't want to use PBW or starsan on there for extended periods because it will pit the metal.

Are you asking about using the pot for you mash tun? It's a little on the small side but do-able. It's too small to boil 5 gallons.

There are debates about aluminum vs. stainless but I've been brewing with aluminum and there hasn't been any short term effect.s just make sure you boil water first for your first use to build an oxidized layer on the pot.

What kind of Sanitizer would you use for an aluminum pot. Iodophor solution comes to mind but no sulfites?

Looks like I'm going for the fryer deals today. Nit planning on anything larger than a 5 gallon batch at this time.

Also you're saying a 30qt is too small for a 5 gallon boil. I'm assuming you mean the 30qt measurement is a little overstated like glass carboys are and then there is headspace to make sure it doesn't boil over. How much of a batch would you think would come out of this size of container?

But i used my stovetop...didnt feel like dealing with constantly controlling the burner...and im brewing in the kitchen for my first

Are you asking about using the pot for you mash tun? It's a little on the small side but do-able. It's too small to boil 5 gallons.

I don't mean to disagree, but I have long, personal experience brewing in a 30qt aluminum pot and it is more than enough room to do 5 gallon boils. In fact, I have even done 6 gallons into the fermenter in mine. It is easier if you have some fermcap-s handy, but even without it many people successfully brew 5 gallon batches in one. You have to be careful about boilovers during the hot break, is all.

Back