Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUpAndSup

Reaction score
I'm gonna make my first batch of Mead this weekend and was gonna use wine yeast but was told to use super turbo all purpose yeast. Any advice?

I'm gonna make my first batch of Mead this weekend and was gonna use wine yeast but was told to use super turbo all purpose yeast. Any advice?

Recipe? and how dry do you want it???

Wine yeast is fine, mead yeast works, bread yeast works too, super yeast would also work, it really just comes down to what you are trying to do. Unless you are trying to make a 20% ABV mead I'd stay away from the turbo yeast, but if you want a really strong, dry, mead, go for it.

I usually just use wine yeast, but mine are also somewhere between 9%-16% ABV.

I'd also stay away from the turbo yeast...that yeast is really just meant to produce alcohol for di$ti11ing (although we don't talk about that around these parts...)

Seriously though, there's much better yeasts for mead making...I'd take the advice of whoever told you that with a serious grain of salt, because I really don't think they know all that much about mead making...

As dummkauf said, it's a little hard to recommend a yeast without knowing exactly what you're going for here.

when people give advice like that.....RUN !

the yeast is one of the main variables in taste. what yeast to use depends on what ingredients your using and method of making it.

for a first yeast i would use a yeast like KIV-1116 or DV10 (or equivalents of) they may not be a perfect match but they generally do a fairly decent job, fairly robust fermenting and easy to get good ferments, handle wide range of temps etc. they are good work horse yeasts.

let it ferment dry, stabilize and back sweeten.

Thanks for the advice guys! I thought it was wrong to use turbo yeast! It's a simple recipe just with water, honey, yeast and an orange. I should just listen to myself sometimes, haha. Will let you know how I get on. :)

It's a simple recipe just with water, honey, yeast and an orange

Sounds very much like my first batch of mead!

For straight meads and metheglins, I like the Wyeast Dry Mead strain. Regardless of your yeast, make sure you are using some yeast nutrients as well (check out "staggered nutrient additions" if you haven't already).

Back