LHBS Prices... Why So Expensive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedartedash

Reaction score
I know we are supposed to support our local Home Brewing Shop, but I am having a hard time justifying their prices! I just did a cost analysis comparing my local shop to morebeer.com, and I would be saving more than 40% if I shopped online (assuming I spend enough to get free shipping). What gives?! DME is 37% less, Hops are 58% less, yeast is 29% less... not to mention gas (its about a 50 mile round trip).

Is my LHBS just way overpriced? Anyone have any thoughts on buying online VS a LHBS?

Cheers!

I do all of my shopping online. Is cheaper for me, even after shipping costs, to shop online. Last time I went to my LHBS, it took me nearly 2 hours round trip and their ingredients aren't as fresh as what I can get online. I would like to support local business but I don't have 2 hrs of free time to spend on the road when I have no other need to drive in that direction.

Unless the lhbs is right down the street it seems that shipping costs are way cheaper than gas/wear and tear on your vehicle. I find it really difficult to support the local shops with all the online sources available.

The only time I shop LHBS is if if buying bottles. Then I will pick up ingredients while im there

I have several LHBS, but only one that I will support. Some of them price gauge. The closest one to me only sells grains by the oz unless you buy a 55lb bag. 16lbs of a base grain at 20cents an oz gets very expensive! I refuse to buy from them since I can buy what I need for half the price a couple of extra miles away. If they want to over charge you, then screw them.

I buy some equipment (carboys, etc) from my LHBS. They're either the same price or lower than NB and I don't have to pay the extra shipping. As far as why yours is higher priced, I'm guessing it's because the online sites do more volume, and therefore get bigger discounts from their suppliers than the smaller LHBS. These savings allow them to keep their prices lower.

I try to support my LHBS whenever I can. I buy lots of things in bulk though.

-Grain - Bulk. At least my base malt. It's a little cheaper, but much more convenient.
-Hops - Bulk. It's 100-200% cheaper bought in bulk online!!!!
-Yeast - LHBS. I'm not saving much buying online, and I know the stuff at my LHBS has been kept cold
-Specialty grains - LHBS. I use so little, the cost doesn't matter
-Small equipment (airlocks, hop bags, etc, buckets) - LHBS. They're cheap.
-Large equipment - Online or DIY. LHBS have insane markups for equipment like mash tuns, false bottoms, pumps, wort chillers. Buy that stuff online, or DIY it.

I give my LHBS business because it's nice to have them when I need them in a pinch.

It's kind of the same as anything else. Do you buy books at Amazon.com or your local independent bookseller? Do you buy tools at the local hardware store, or do you buy them from Home Depot or Lowe's? The fact is that any retailer with a national presence can sell products cheaper than local mom-and-pop stores. They get better deals from suppliers and can price things cheaper because they move so much product. Online stores have the national presence and less overhead, so they can go even cheaper.

I do a ton of online shopping because it's cheap and convenient. I buy lots of stuff from national big box chain stores because it's cheaper, and I don't feel like being hassled by salesmen at smaller stores (ironic because many people hate big box stores because they don't get enough customer service ... I actually prefer them in many cases because they just leave you alone).

But there are certain hobbies I have where I support local retailers, because I like the service. Homebrewing is one of those. Having someone walk up to me on the floor of my LHBS and talk to me about brewing is more fun than some dude at an electronics store walking up to me to try to sell me a stereo. So even though it's a little out of my way, I go to my LHBS because I enjoy the experience (and yeah, it helps that my LHBS is also a major online retailer and their prices and selection are very satisfying). But it's not a religion for me. When I see a good deal online, I buy online.

At the end of the day, it's your money and you are allowed to spend it wherever you like. If you want to get the most for your dollar, do it. If you are willing to pay a little more for certain things because you like the experience, do it. But don't let anyone pressure you into thinking you're "supposed" to support your LHBS. If you're not satisfied with the prices and the service they offer, don't give them your money ... if others in your area do the same, then eventually they'll notice and hopefully improve.

My LHBS is an online retailer so largely get the best of both worlds. Learntobrew.com. That said, northern brewer, Williams, and less and less Morebeer get some as well.

Our LBS is actually competitive on pricing for almost everything, and often cheaper if shipping is weighed in. Plus they have a great selection and service.

My LHBS has home brew for sampling while i'm shopping. Beat that, mail order companies!

But in all seriousness, Texas Brewing Inc. staff have personally told me they price this way (at least right now): AHS prices +10%. For the extra 10% i spend there i get great service, i get to chat with a fellow club member who owns the dang place, other members who are frequently shopping as well, and a really nice atmosphere where you can be yourself. Got a question about a recipe? Ask it.

I'm going to do all i can to keep my LHBS in business as long as possible, he's worth every penny. He's also working on a will-call online system that will make speedy pickups a breeze, though i like going in there to d#@k around about beer.

I try to support the LHBS but they are expensive and a 45 minute drive away. I usually buy from MoreBeer and take advantage of the free shipping.

Where are you shopping in PGH? I use South Hills Brewing and find their prices pretty fair when you factor in shipping. Besides, the staff is knowledgeable and helpful. I can always ask questions, get some tips and even suggestions on recipes.

LHBS's need to cover a lease in a high traffic area, inventory, shipping of said inventory, utilities, employees, etc.

I had no idea that place in Haltom City even existed. I'll have to check it out. That's a bit closer than Fort Worth Homebrew. The website looks like it needs a lot of work. I can't tell what the prices are like. It would be nice to have a place that close with decent prices -- especially since I am in downtown FTW during the week -- but if they are pricey I'll just keep driving to FTWHB during my lunch hour.

To the OP's question -- the local shops are normally more expensive due to scale. Large shops can negotiate better prices which means they can charge less and still turn profit. The small shops, not so much. They buy at a higher rate so they have to charge you more to turn a profit.

I had no idea that place in Haltom City even existed. I'll have to check it out. That's a bit closer than Fort Worth Homebrew. The website looks like it needs a lot of work. I can't tell what the prices are like. It would be nice to have a place that close with decent prices -- especially since I am in downtown FTW during the week -- but if they are pricey I'll just keep driving to FTWHB during my lunch hour.

To the OP's question -- the local shops are normally more expensive due to scale. Large shops can negotiate better prices which means they can charge less and still turn profit. The small shops, not so much. They buy at a higher rate so they have to charge you more to turn a profit.

Place just opened up a couple weeks ago it seems. I, too, had no flippin idea until another Cap and Hare member told me about it. It literally cut my drive in half to Dr Jekyll's. So far i'm averaging about $27/AG batch.

dartedash,

I'm in the same boat as you (just up the road).
I've been up to Frederick a few times, didn't find what I needed but everyone was helpful. I can't see going to Annapolis and Columbia isn't much closer. I gave up trying and order online freely, without guilt. I choose to use those who support or advertise here - I think of them as my lhbs.
jason

I wouldn't consider a 25 mile drive to be a "local" homebrew shop. But maybe you live out in the sticks or something.

It's local if that's the closest one Lando. Local is subjective based on where you live. If you live in NYC and there is one 5 blocks away but you talk about the one 15 blocks away then i wouldn't say the 15 block one is local. I live 17 miles from the closest one.

Why are so many people hating on Morebeer lately?

Can't answer for others and not sure of your context, but I got extraordinarily bad service on a $2500 purchase from them recently when things arrived DOA on my new brew system. They get less of my business going forward given the pain of that personal experience. Too many other reputable businesses out there that are price competitive to support a business that tells me 'the manager is too busy to help me' on a purchase of that size...

I used to live fairly close to the riverside location of morebeer and even by excluding gas from the equation, it was still cheaper to buy from other online vendors. I did buy yeast from them though.

makomachine said:
Can't answer for others and not sure of your context, but I got extraordinarily bad service on a $2500 purchase from them recently when things arrived DOA on my new brew system. They get less of my business going forward given the pain of that personal experience. Too many other reputable businesses out there that are price competitive to support a business that tells me 'the manager is too busy to help me' on a purchase of that size...

Yeah that definitely sucks. I've just been hearing a lot of murmuring on the forum about them, but nothing specific

I had an issue with Morebeer as well... when you sell something as being cleaned inside and out, I don't expect to find soda syrup in it when it arrives.

I go about 20 miles (one way) to get LME for $1.75 (the going rate elsewhere locally is $2). They are cheaper for most other things, and I usually end up buying multiple batches plus equipment while I'm there. They have the same wine corker I was looking at at my more local LHBS (~4 miles closer) for about $15 less ($32 vs $17). They are family run, have two big dogs, and I can email orders of grain/etc in and have everything ready for me except the fridged stuff when I come in.

I love this LHBS, but I'd probably shop somewhere else if they weren't so inexpensive and so friendly. The other one I can justify going to in a pinch, because they are a little further away from where we do some other shopping, so the gas isn't as much a factor.

I think I'm lucky to live in such a brewer-friendly part of the country! I'm going to get fresh hops from a friend tomorrow, she grew them on the side of her house :D

I've never had a problem with Morebeer. I like them alot. It just depends on your personal experience. I definately wouldn't shop at a place that wasn't helpful and had bad customer service. It's never been an issue with me @ Morebeer.

My LHBS is 30 minutes away, specializes in canned coopers ale kits and thus has little turnover in their grains and malts. doesnt have a yeast fridge as far as I can tell. says they are "the oldest homebrewshop in GA"... and is often 20-30% higher than stores like northern brewer.
a 2 keg setup with kegs co2 tank and cobra taps is over $300 bucks. plus tax.

Yeah.. Im not supporting that.

https://ssl.perfora.net/mmient.com/...42 PM&ProductCat=Equipment, Tools and Carboys

Check this out. ugh.

Includes: New 5# CO2 gas cylinder, New CO2 gas regulator, used 5 gal. stainless steel cornelius keg, "in" and "out" fittings for keg, plastic squeeze faucet, and all tubing

ALL THAT FOR $284... are you kidding me?!?!?!? THATS FOR ONE KEG AND COBRA TAP.

Try sampling beers while ordering online, or having the MoreBeer staff put together a customized recipe for you, then helping you refine it with each iteration.

It's the same economies of scale that the major box stores have used for decades to drive local grocery stored out of business. Special deals from the wholesalers, volume discounts, etc. If you must pinch pennies, go to the cheapest source. If not, support local businesses and keep your dollars in the local economy.

I started brewing when living in San Diego, and there was no internet to speak of back then. Luckily, my LHBS was Home Brew Mart in Solana Beach, and it was run by Yusef Cherney, who co-founded Ballast Point Brewery. He taught my roommate and I how to brew, formulate recipes, tasted our beers, and how to brew all-grain. Couldn't ask for a better mentor..

Time went on, and the internet swept across the world, and now there's better prices and tons of stores to choose from. I live in Baltimore now, and both LHBS are an hour round trip, so I stick to online. If I lived in San Diego still, I'd still be going to the Home Brew Mart in Solana Beach.

I guess I'm lucky. I've got two pretty good ones within a 20 minute drive. I can place my order online and it's ready for pickup the next am when I get there.

They do pretty good on bulk grain, better than I can get it shipped for. The only thing I don't buy at either of those two shops is bulk hops.

No sales tax on grain here.

dartedash,

I'm in the same boat as you (just up the road).
I've been up to Frederick a few times, didn't find what I needed but everyone was helpful. I can't see going to Annapolis and Columbia isn't much closer. I gave up trying and order online freely, without guilt. I choose to use those who support or advertise here - I think of them as my lhbs.
jason

Count me in on that too. I guess I'm just down the road though. I shop exclusively online and I don't feel one bit guilty about it. The way I see it, I only have so much free time to dedicate to brewing related activities. If I have to 2 hours or so to get to an LHBS, it's not worth it.

By the way, I feel like a homebrew shop could make a killing in Montgomery County. There are tons of brewers and no local store.

I try to support my LHBS whenever I can. I buy lots of things in bulk though.

-Grain - Bulk. At least my base malt. It's a little cheaper, but much more convenient.
-Hops - Bulk. It's 100-200% cheaper bought in bulk online!!!!
-Yeast - LHBS. I'm not saving much buying online, and I know the stuff at my LHBS has been kept cold
-Specialty grains - LHBS. I use so little, the cost doesn't matter
-Small equipment (airlocks, hop bags, etc, buckets) - LHBS. They're cheap.
-Large equipment - Online or DIY. LHBS have insane markups for equipment like mash tuns, false bottoms, pumps, wort chillers. Buy that stuff online, or DIY it.

I give my LHBS business because it's nice to have them when I need them in a pinch.

+1 Amen

I buy most of my stuff locally because it's cheaper or roughly the same price. I'm not going to quibble over a few cents per lb. on a $20 order.

I do buy hops in bulk online.

I buy everything but bulk hops ($2-3 oz at the lhbs). Their specialty grains and yeast prices are within my local purchase threshold. Hopefully the syracuse bulk buy will go through with a drop off closer to Buffalo as the lhbs bags of grain start at $59 and go up from there.

I try to buy local. I only usually buy hops in quantity online, especially ones that are out of stock often like simcoe and Amarillo. If I need an oz of saaz or hallertauer I'll just get it at the lhbs. I'll buy my specialty grain there, but my homebrew club has too much of a discount on base malt ($35 for 55lb 2 row) to buy it at the lhbs. I don't mind paying $2 for a pound a specialty grain but $2 a pound for 2 row is crazy.

I started brewing when living in San Diego, and there was no internet to speak of back then. Luckily, my LHBS was Home Brew Mart in Solana Beach, and it was run by Yusef Cherney, who co-founded Ballast Point Brewery. He taught my roommate and I how to brew, formulate recipes, tasted our beers, and how to brew all-grain. Couldn't ask for a better mentor..

Time went on, and the internet swept across the world, and now there's better prices and tons of stores to choose from. I live in Baltimore now, and both LHBS are an hour round trip, so I stick to online. If I lived in San Diego still, I'd still be going to the Home Brew Mart in Solana Beach.

Home brew mart is in linda vista now. Never know they started in solana. I buy my yeast and any items I need in a hurry but they're prices, in my opinion, are ridiculous. Ballast Point is however one of my favorite local brewers though.

What's up Maryland brewers!!

I work in Elkridge which is right around the corner from Maryland Homebrew and it's been so nice having a lhbs so close--even if their prices are a little higher.

I'd also say "a little higher" is a bit relative as others have said. My lhbs gives a lifetime 10% off after you spend a grand, so it may be wise to check if yours does the same. If so, start working toward that 1K by getting your kegging system going or maybe buy the 15 gal kettle you've always wanted--probably not as much markup there.

From what I've noticed, the markup really applies when you buy extract kits, liquid extracts, specialty ingredients, and even hops. Bulk grains however are a great deal. I recently bought a 55lb bag each of Maris Otter and 2-Row for around 85c per lb. That's a pretty big savings over a few brews.

my LHBS is also the Home Brew Mart in Linda Vista. And I agree, prices are ridiculous. When I was pricing wort chillers and some other things I noticed there was almost a 30-40% price increase. Even after I pay shipping, I still save money ordering online. However I do like to buy yeast and get my grains and mill them at the LHBS.

I have 6-7 LHBS within driving distance. They all vary in terms of stock, prices, knowledge and cleanliness. I go to specific stores depending on what I'm looking for.

Back