screw caps on wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

Reaction score
i have ten cases of empty screwcap wine bottles that I'd like to be able to use - does anyone know if I can reuse these and if so, where can I buy new screwcaps? Online is ok if smaller quantities (~120) are ok.

Or, can I cork them - and if so, what size corks?

Thanks

JWP

I have re-used screw top bottles with corks. I'm fairly sure I have never used anything but #8s, but take an example bottle to the shop and compare. My corker has not failed me in the case of bottles/corks, although I can recall some that were less than elegant with corks that were probably too large. The hint was the cork sticking out of the top, looking somewhat like a mushroom.

Regarding screwcaps: for the love of god, man, why?

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to use screwcaps either but I got all these screw cap bottles for free and everyone I ask (the home brew shop guy) says you can't use corks with screw cap bottles. I think he wants to sell more bottles, maybe I will go to a different shop. So, you have used them with success?

Yes, I have used them with success. The vessel is a (1) glass (2) bottle. I'm baffled why it should be different if it is threaded on the outside. A cork of a proper size would function inside the neck of the bottle just as it would with a traditional wine bottle.

It's not as if you're talking about making sparkling wine in it. If it's clean and a sound bottle, I just don't get why it would be a problem. My corker worked fine with screw cap bottles, too.

Mostly, my bottles are recycled from friends. As a result I get bottle leftovers from Boone's to Bordeaux. They all work, as long as they have been cleaned out reasonably.

I have actually bought some bottles, mostly to give wine as gifts in packs (375 ml clear ones to show the colors -- with instructions to protect the contents from light). Mostly, I use whatever I can scrounge, so I can focus on putting my money in the bottles (quality ingredients), and not in bottles.

I'm baffled why it should be different if it is threaded on the outside. A cork of a proper size would function inside the neck of the bottle just as it would with a traditional wine bottle.

I think the main concern with this is not the cork functioning properly, but the risk of breaking the neck when removing the cork. The screw top bottles are not nearly as thick and lack a lip to pry against. If using them, I wouldn't use the "server style" wine keys that pry on one side, but a standard "household style" corkscrew that pushes against the whole perimeter of the bottle neck.

Hi guys,

You may take help from beach theme wine stoppers,as i have used it in my wedding party so i know well,u will find here u r requirements.

Many thanks

Regards
Michael Harris

Back