Too much Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisis

Reaction score
I tried my first batch of beer this weekend, and while it tasted great, there was way too much carbonation!

I only used 3/4 cup for the 5 gallons which is what the recommended amount was, in fact I even went a little light on it because I did not want to overdo the carbonation.

Anyone have any ideas on what else could cause this, or do I maybe need to use even less carbonation still?

Thanks!

Might you have made the same mistake I did with my first batch and bottled it before it was completely fermented?

this would cause extra carbonation, and sometimes bottle bombs (in my case :mad: )

also too high of temperature will cause this as well, i think.

Did you chill it first? Drinking it a room temperature will make it seem more carbonated than it actually is. Also, one ounce of priming sugar per gallon is more normal.

My guess is that you bottled too soon. If the beer wasn't completely done fermenting when you bottled, you'll have more carbonation that you wanted. The general rule around here is to keep the beer in the primary fermenter for a week before racking.

It was in the primary for a week, but looking back, maybe I should have left it a bit longer.

I have a second batch that is in a secondary now (my first attempt at a secondary)

I did primary for 1 week, then I was planning on keeping in the secondary for 2 weeks.

So this time maybe just make sure there are absolutely no bubbles still coming out the airlock before bottling?

Oh, as a follow up, the first batch of beer was a "Highland Heavy Ale". I drank it chilled.

Only 1 week? Your brew wasn't done, dude.

I am one of those guys who "preach" that a lot of people are too impatient and do EVERYTHING TOO SOON when brewing.

You wonder what went wrong when YOU went wrong.;)

Fermentation is a natural process. Natural process should not be messed with. When you do you get bad results...as you now know.

Learn to use your hydrometer to take most of the guesswork out of the equation you call brewing!

The instructions I received said 1 week in fermenter, 2 weeks in bottles then it is ready.

I've been reading more since then and will be trying some new things for these following batches.

crisis said:
The instructions I received said 1 week in fermenter, 2 weeks in bottles then it is ready.

I've been reading more since then and will be trying some new things for these following batches.

Instructions are good to follow, but you also have so many variables that will change the amout of time a beer ferments. Temperature, yeast, oxygen, nutrients are a few. This is where a hydrometer can be your best friend. I always wait until I see no airlock activity before I bottle or keg. Oh yea, and a SG reading that should fit in the yeasts attenuation.:cross:

One week is a good guess, and it's fine if you are using a secondary fermentation (or clearing tank) for a couple more weeks. However, if not, then you MUST be sure it is completely done fermenting before putting it in the bottles.

The deal with the hydrometer is usu. take a reading over two or three days and if it is the same each time, then it is complete. Of course, it should be around what your expected FG is, as stated above. FG should be about 1/4 of OG (i.e. OG 1.040 = FG @1.010).

I don't know if anyone else has an opinion about this, but my beer seems to ferment faster since I've been using liquid yeast, rather than dry. ??

And don't worry, it's happened to us all. I've dumped out many a beer because of overcarbonation. For me, if it's undercarbed, it can still be drinkable, but not if it's too bubbly.
:)

desiderata said:
...And don't worry, it's happened to us all. I've dumped out many a beer because of overcarbonation. For me, if it's undercarbed, it can still be drinkable, but not if it's too bubbly.:)
Not good, Pat.

For carbonated drinks to lose its fizz you have to...blow bubbles into it through a straw. Your air bursts the bubbles already in the liquid.

Don't believe me? Go get a soda and a straw and try it (don't want to waste a good beer on this....unless you have an overcarbed one already)...:D

homebrewer_99 said:
Not good, Pat.

For carbonated drinks to lose its fizz you have to...blow bubbles into it through a straw. Your air bursts the bubbles already in the liquid.

Don't believe me? Go get a soda and a straw and try it (don't want to waste a good beer on this....unless you have an overcarbed one already)...:D

You mean I could have saved those? D#@n!!! Oh well, I was ready to move on from the English Brown Ale anyhow. Whatever makes me feel better, huh?

Hopefully, Bill, I'll never have to test your theory on any of my brews.

thanks for the tip. :mug:

I have had multiple brews take 10-14 days in primary before they really stopped chugging along. That damn cascade pale ale I just made went 14 days straight bubbling once every 15 seconds. I kept it cold (68-70F)... so that prolongs fermentation a bit. Really, you should put the beer into a secondary for AT LEAST a couple days before bottling. Heck... if not a couple weeks! I've done primary only beers, but I think its good practice to use secondary. Get them off the cake and cleaned up a bit.. both in taste and color. THEN use 3/4 cup and dump it into the bottling bucket before racking...you'll have more consistant carbonation this way.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I'll be a bit more patient with this batch that is currently sitting in the secondary.

and didn't see your post until I posted. Same deal with me, though I've brewed before.

Only thing I could offer about your situation is to ask if you checked the original and final gravity to make sure fermentation had ceased before you bottled; if not, that can be the culprit, as the yeast is still eating the malt sugar and then gets a second dose with the priming sugar...too much "food" and you get overcarbonation and sometimes exploding bottles!

Latest posts

Back