You Wanna Read Some Serious Anti-Beer Propaganda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I accidentally purchased Burton salts as opposed to gypsum at the LHBS recently, and on the label it says "contains papain." So I was perusing the web, looking for details on the use of papain in brewing, and found this gem:

BEER HAS EVERYTHING???

Be sure to read it all; the farther in you go, the better it gets.

Wow. A few partial truths with some unresearched garbage. Did they actually research what dextrin is and where it comes from. This is why I don't like some extreme bible thumpers.

Okay. I get it. They don't like our beer. They fain at our additives.

So I say let them drink GOD's life water from the stagnant pond and soon they will see their folly.

as a christian this appalls me the ignorance of so many Christians is very frustrating they quote scriptures but forget that jesus's first miracle was to turn water into wine i go to church every sunday i run the sound board and from time to to time have had a beer with my pastors at a bbq

Anyone can play this game.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 said:
Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do
Psalms 104:14-15 said:
He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for man to cultivate—
bringing forth food from the earth:
wine that gladdens the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine,
and bread that sustains his heart
And it goes on and on. It's a retarded argument that will never end because the Bible was written by many people over hundreds of years in languages that don't always lend themselves well to translation. It's full of contradictions like this and few enough people have actually read the thing to make an informed judgment one way or the other.

Not enough people are critical of their sources, and they'll read a page like this (or hear a sermon like this, or talk to a family member like this) and take it at face value. Short answer: people are ignorant, lazy, and want to be coddled. Heck, I'm completely non-religious and I've read it cover-to-cover just because it's a fascinating piece of history.

I'm all worked up now, time for some serious RDWHAHB.

ok, to shoot a HUGE hole in that crap. dont catholics drink wine as "the blood of Christ"?

My knowledge of alcohol is its not completely healthy for you, but frankly nothing is, yet its only REALLY harmful to you in large amounts. the lesson? drink in moderation or just enjoy your drink, you're not gonna live forever anyways.

when I say "that crap" I mean the site linked in the original post.

So who will be the first to claim this graphic as their avatar?

beer_glass.gif

I am literally the "son of a preacher man" and this leaves me at a loss for words!

Curious that Revvy hasn't chimed in on this one! :D

As a Reformed Christian I am reeling at the scripture taken out of context or completely misunderstood. For example, on one of the other pages:

Habakkuk 2:15, "Woe unto him that givest his neighbor drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!"

They take this to mean giving drink to your neighbor is wrong, so you shouldnt do it, and therefore most importantly Jesus never made wine because then he'd be breaking OT law himself.

The whole point of the Habakkuk passage is not to give drink to people to get them DRUNK to look at them NAKED! Not that its wrong in every instance to "give drink" to your neighbor.

Sheesh, if you completely ignore the second half of the verse then it would be unlawful for me to even give my neighbor lemonade. They HAVE to read the second half of the verse to even deduce its referring to alcoholic drinks, but yet the ignore the implications of the rest of the verse.

I would bet that some on this forum are guilty of violating this..... but the average guy who shares some brew with his neighbor is in no way in violation of this verse unless he was using it to sexually violate said neighbor.

If I were to like IPA's then I would be a hop head, and if I were a hop head I would fiend for my next hop fix.

Ill be right back, I have to run to my freezer and start downing handfuls of my centennial and ekg pellets.

To add more accuracy he should have added that water, the biggest component in beer is toxic (in extreme quantities)...as is just about anything.

Within reason, moderation will serve to be a good guide, even with religion. ;)

ok, to shoot a HUGE hole in that crap. dont catholics drink wine as "the blood of Christ"?

My knowledge of alcohol is its not completely healthy for you, but frankly nothing is, yet its only REALLY harmful to you in large amounts. the lesson? drink in moderation or just enjoy your drink, you're not gonna live forever anyways.

when I say "that crap" I mean the site linked in the original post.

Just a heads up, don't confuse the Catholics with any of the Protestant religions, they REALLY don't like it :D Catholics don't really ascribe to all the "alcohol is evil" nonsense, and every Catholic wedding, funeral, social, bingo night has had more than a modest amount of social lubricant present. It is really quite fun :D

Also Catholics don't like it when you refer to "The Blood of Christ" as wine, because they believe at every mass the bread and wine are transubstantiated into the actual body and blood of Christ. So in a mass, no one has wine and wafers, its all flesh and blood baby!

Plus, Cobalt has not been used in beer since the 70's when they first discovered cardiomyopathies related to cobalt toxicity. They were really digging for some old stuff there....

That website is just laughable. People can publish whatever drivel that they want on the internet as is their right in exchange for paying for hosting fees and registering a domain name, but it won't stop me from hoisting a pint and shaking my head in disbelief.

That list of bogus additives would still make beer healthier than most canned soups.

Pardon me. I've just had a bottle of India Pale Ale and I'm feeling the urge to step outside and howl at the moon. :ban:

I think we'd do well to listen to the wisdom of Rev Lovejoy:

"Once something has been approved by the government, its no longer immoral."

The whole point of the Habakkuk passage is not to give drink to people to get them DRUNK to look at them NAKED! Not that its wrong in every instance to "give drink" to your neighbor.

Could the nakedness not be physical, but psychological in the sense that when drunk, one looses many inhibitions. Thus, there is a barrier which is lost, the neighbor becoming naked in that they would answer questions truthfully even though he may have wanted to hide said answers.

The chemistry part is just retarded. Sure, humulone has a similar emperical formula to cannabinol, but that's like saying hydrogen peroxide is the same thing as water because there's only one number different in the formula. And that's not even taking into account how complicated (and different) organic compounds can be besides the empirical formula. Chemistry FAIL.

The chemistry part is just retarded. Sure, humulone has a similar emperical formula to cannabinol, but that's like saying hydrogen peroxide is the same thing as water because there's only one number different in the formula. And that's not even taking into account how complicated (and different) organic compounds can be besides the empirical formula. Chemistry FAIL.

Reminds me of this post that I saw the other day. Awesome.

I know quite a few Catholics, and they do have quite a remarkable about enjoying the products of fermentation.

If everyone in this country were Catholic:

Prohibition never would have occurred

No one would ever have to endure the misery of a cash bar at a wedding, or worse, a dry wedding

All wakes and funerals would be as much fun as they're supposed to be, celebrating the memory of the deceased

Any other suggestions?

I love how they use chemical formulas and say that since they are similar they must be the same thing, anyone with half a brain knows that if you change even one atom in a organic chemical formula you usually get something completely different.

I love how they use chemical formulas and say that since they are similar they must be the same thing, anyone with half a brain knows that if you change even one atom in a organic chemical formula you usually get something completely different.

see my link above!

Latest posts

Back