This is what I think I'm trying in the morning...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
I had planned to brew tonight, but the supermarket with the RO water machine was closed due to losing power in today's storm... anyway, here's what I'm thinking
(3 gallon AG, full boil)

6 lbs american 2 row
4 oz flaked rye
4 oz carawheat
4 oz crystal 60

cluster hops 1 oz at 60 minutes and another with a minute or two left in boil
us-05 yeast

Hmmm, funky preboil gravity...temp corrected to 1.065. Gonna be a bit bigger beer than I had planned on with that! How do I calculate the efficency?

Thanks Otis. Looks like 78% or so, which I'm happy with. Especially considering my mill is a converted pasta maker that cost me a whole $15.

I took a few pictures of it, but can't post them here. I plan on uploading them to my blog later tonight.... although I'm tired. I got up at 6 to start this batch... ended up not getting water until 8 or so. Finished my mill...after a 2nd trip to the store because I lost the pack of screws I bought at HD to mount it to a board and started crushing grain. That was a slow process! The mill works fine, but hand cranking 7 pounds of grain through it took at least 1/2 hour. Anyway, finally about noon I got water, grain and cooler together. Then, SWMBO cornered me.... had to bring the tree up from the basement and assemble it.... causing my mashing to run a bit long. From there through boil was normal. My tub full of ice cooling left a bit to be desired though, so boil kettle with 120 degree wort went out on the front porch for 40 minutes until it got to pitching temp. I checked the postboil gravity 1.090!!!!!! I was short on my volume so I added a gallon of spring water and got it to a more reasonable 1.056. It's just over 3 gallons now, so I'll end up with 3 when it goes to the keg in 3 weeks or a month. Pitched yeast at 7:30 pm.... and that's why I'm tired! Oh, forgot the part about not being able to work most of the morning because my Grandaughter was asleep on the couch...over the part of the basement where the power tools I needed to use to finsih the mill are, and the trip to the PO for stamps for SWMBO. Whew...I'm making me more tired rerunning the day! LOL

Checked out your blog and the thread that you linked to it, thats a pretty good idea. I think that I could survive spending time milling grain by hand if its slow, maybe while my mash water heated (Im going to start stovetop all grain batches soon) so Im going to look into this cheap grain mill method. Excellent descriptive blog! Thanks alot Gonefishing!

Back