Following Directions or make it up as you go along?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
Just a general question I thought I'd throw out there:

The two (2) extract kits I just bought say to use 2 gallons for the boil and then add 3-4 to bring the total up to 5 gallons @ pitch at 68-70

Can I boil 5 gallons (then use wort chiller)?

Would the results be any better/worse?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom!:)

You certainly can use five gallons to boil instead of topping up later. Keep in mind you'll lose at least a gallon during boiloff so 6 gallons of wort would be better if you have the equipment for it. The results of a full boil is slightly lighter end product, and better hop utilization.

I think it's generally a consensus around here that if you can do a full boil, that's a good thing. It helps with less carmelization of the wort, and if you have a way to chill it quickly (the wort chiller), then it's recommended. I think you'd get less "extract-y" taste. My beers got much better when I started boiling more of the wort.

The only thing to be aware of is the change in hops utilization. Hops utilization is dependent on the specific gravity of the wort. So, a more concentrated boil (a partial boil with all of the extract in it) will have less hops utilization. So, in a full boil, generally you use about 25% less bittering hops.

If you want to post the recipe, along with the AAUs of the hops you're using, I'll be glad to run it through some brewing software for you to see if you should make any differences in the hops additions.

It's sort of irritating to me as a reletive newcomer to homebrewing that most of the extract kits instruct you to use only two gallons of water for your wort. I realize that two gallons gets up to temp quicker (and down, for that matter), and that one is less likely to "boil over" the wort, but the reasons for a full boil are almost common sense. I've tried to find some middle ground on this issue, and I use 3.5 gallons to create my wort. I guess I'll just keep experimenting, but unless I get a high pressure propane burner and a 6-plus gallon stainless steel kettle, doing a 5 gallon boil is not practical for me. Next up, a PBR clone! He he he....

Telemarc,

I just bought a turkey fryer at wallmart for 50 bucks, and bought a 35 quart ss stockpot on ebay fo 43 plus shipping.

If youre not afraid of an aluminum pot that 50 bucks will get you both at walmart.

Aluminum pots are another thread ;)

It's sort of irritating to me as a reletive newcomer to homebrewing that most of the extract kits instruct you to use only two gallons of water for your wort.....but unless I get a high pressure propane burner and a 6-plus gallon stainless steel kettle, doing a 5 gallon boil is not practical for me. Next up, a PBR clone! He he he....

I think you answered your own irritation. :p
They do it because most people don't have the bigger equipment and want to appeal to someone who can make beer out of a standard spaghetti pot.

Red October:

Thanks for the info. I thought about a turkey fryer. I currently use aluminum and have had no issues. Cost is the only thing preventing me from getting a SS pot.:rockin:

right now could be good or bad. you're ramping up for the holiday season, so you may get some fryer sales based on upcoming thanksgiving, however off season deals are the best - when they just need to get them out of inventory and off the books. I got mine real cheap doing it that way.

It's sort of irritating to me as a reletive newcomer to homebrewing that most of the extract kits instruct you to use only two gallons of water for your wort. I realize that two gallons gets up to temp quicker (and down, for that matter), and that one is less likely to "boil over" the wort, but the reasons for a full boil are almost common sense. I've tried to find some middle ground on this issue, and I use 3.5 gallons to create my wort. I guess I'll just keep experimenting, but unless I get a high pressure propane burner and a 6-plus gallon stainless steel kettle, doing a 5 gallon boil is not practical for me. Next up, a PBR clone! He he he....

I think you answered your own irritation. :p
They do it because most people don't have the bigger equipment and want to appeal to someone who can make beer out of a standard spaghetti pot.

That's exactly the reason they formulate the kits/recipes for that size, most new brewers only have a few gallon pot lying around. The whole turkey fryer for brewing thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and subsequently revolutionized homebrewing in a big way.

But honestly, it's really no big deal, plenty of great beer has been made by "topping off to 5 gallons."

How about a 4 gallon boil in a 5.5 gallon pot? Just make sure it doesn't boil over !

Nut Brown Ale - Extract Kit
OG: 1044 / Ready: 5 weeks

Search Results

and

India Pale Ale - Extract Kit
OG: 1064 / Ready: 2 months

Search Results

Thanks yooper!

That first recipe, if done as written, gives only 14 IBUs. I think that's too low, personally. I'd go ahead and do that one as a full boil, using all the hops, giving you 22 IBUs. I think that would be more in line with the style, and would give you better flavor.

The IPA recipe instructs you to do a late extract addition, adding the bulk of the extract late in the boil, giving you 49.5 IBUs if doing a 2 gallon boil. To keep it in the same area, you could just follow the recipe as a full boil (NOT adding the extract late) and you'd get 59 IBUs. That's probably what I would do.

Back